It'll Only Crush Your Expectations... - 43%

DawnoftheShred, January 4th, 2008

When White Zombie was signed to Geffen Records, they recorded and released their third album, La Sexorcisto and declared it as their debut. In the same way that Pantera erased most public knowledge of their pre-Cowboys from Hell glam/speed metal past once they were signed, White Zombie’s first two albums were left to rot out of print in the darkest corners of whichever used music shop was unlucky enough to receive them. Why would a band withhold music from their fans you ask? Just like Pantera, it would seem White Zombie had a past that they were quite ashamed of…

In the somewhat unlikely event that potential listeners have heard White Zombie’s earliest pre-album output, the sound of their lost debut will not come as a surprise. But coming off a steady diet of their well-known Geffen material, fans will be in for quite a shock. Raw, abrasive, punky, noisy: this is a far different band than the one that would put out some above average groove metal in the 90’s. The best description for the ten tracks of alternative terror that is Soul Crusher is “anti-catchy.” A handful of dissonant “riffs” blast forth, seemingly devoid of organization or progression, with scattered sounding drums, leads, and sampled sounds to create a towering wall of noise over which vocalist Rob “Zombie” Cummings hurls his infernal screeching. And even when his lyrical spouts are discernable, they’re always incomprehensible psychedelia. It’s like one grating, trippy ride on an inverted rollercoaster through a swampy marsh. If there’s an audience for this sort of thing, I’d like to meet them.

All of the songs channel the same rebellious monotony, smashing through your sound system with a dissonant fist and riding on their own momentum (which is in itself a paradox, as the “music” is paper-thin) until their respective conclusions, most of which are abrupt. I found myself kind of digging the weightier numbers, such as “Drowning the Colossus” and “Truck on Fire,” but they aren’t really any different than the others.

Supposedly this is quite a sought after album among fans due to its rarity. I say let them have it, as the trouble spent tracking it down far outweighs its value. Only recommended if you’re really curious about the 80’s White Zombie sound or if you like atonal, off-key, noisy psychedelic pap.

Originally written for http://www.metal-observer.com

Psychedelic Nonsense Or Just Plain Shit! - 12%

Desiple_of_The_Ice25, July 17th, 2006

Now this was DEFINATELY nothing I would ever expect Zombie to release. I thought the worst it ever would get was Le Sexorcisto, and I was definately proved wrong. Hell, I even had really low expectations for this, and it still really sucked. To say the least, if you want to listen to this album, DON'T. The production is terrible, there is NO musical value, and Rob can't sing worth shit on this.

If you were to ask me what I thought this would be, is really poor, and failed LOW quality acid rock mixed with what seems to be something influenced by "premature" Mallcore. However, there is a decent aspect, and that is that it's SO fucked up, that it's actually kind of trippy. Well, okay, not so much TRIPPY, but VERY mind blowing, because it sounds something you would hear when you were trippin on Shrooms or somethin, cause this is just messed.

Ratmouth starts out with a little earie soundbyte from an old 30's movie or somethin, THEN the song starts. Now, when you first hear it, you're thinkin "hey, this is NOT bad", then the moment you think that, you realize you spoke WAY too soon, and WAY too late. That's when you start to think "wait, I am going to turn it off now" but for some reason, you don't, you keep listening, because you keep thinking there's hope for it. There's NOT. 2/10.

Shack Of Hate has to be one of the cheeziest song titles I have ever heard get named. As for the song itself, it's just REALLY slow over-driven bass with shit guitar, shit vocals, and shit drums. The feedback is kind of cool though. Another failed song 1/10.

Drowning The Collusus is some what interesting because it actually is quite psychedelic in terms that it could be almost very shitty stoner metal/acid rock even though it has NO melody, and I have to say, one of the reasons why I hate this song so much, let alone the album, is because of how shitty Rob's voice is. Nothing TOO special here. 3/10.

Crow III is actually, probably one of the more songs that has a life, but really is just a dying fetus of a heart beat. Now, one thing I can never distinquish is if Rob is singing or if he's trying to immitate a wah pedal playing licks, cause his voice is really fucked up. Now, I do not understand why this is called "Crow III" let alone why he even made this damn song. Another failure. 2/10.

Die Zombie Die - those are actually the words I said the moment I heard this album all because I do not even understand why he was given a life if he thought it was to make really shitty acid noise. This song definately BLOWS! The guitars and the bass sound REALLY out of tune, but have a VERY old sound, especially, since I think this was released on record before anything else. 1/10.

Skin almost sounds like something you would hear in the beginning of a movie playing a montage of the vietnam war. Only at first though, then it just sounds like something you would hear if you were watching a movie based on Meth. Totally shitty. Nothing to say about this one, other than that. 1/10.

Truck on fire - definately a song that I would want to listen to if I was enjoying scraping dog shit off my shoes with my teeth. One of the most excruciating tracks filled with nothing but bullshit noise I think that I have ever heard. I think I want to put a needle in my arm and ending it after hearing this. Not even a 1/10.

Future Shock sounds like Rob is constipated while the band members are failing during a jam session. I really wonder why someone even wanted to sign them to a record label with this. Totally the shittiest thing ever. I can't wait until this album is over. 1/10.

Scum-kill has some very little potential, and that doesn't even last till a half-third of a quarter of the song. But it also has some really cool moments that has a lot of that White Zombie sound, even though it's kind of hiding away in it. Mostly just the drums and the bass is all that are cool during some of the song. 2/10.

Diamond Ass starts off kind of cool sounding in my opinion, even though it's not even music. Once Zombie comes in delivering his vocals, my bile duct rages making me wanna throw up more than I would if I was alcohol poisoned. A GREAT way to finish an album, because it's one of the only tracks next to Crow III that have somewhat of a chance. 4/10.

BOTTOMLINE: NOT Metal at all, Terrible Production, Terrible Vocals, Terrible music (noise), Without a doubt, the shittiest CD I have ever wasted my time on. It wasted fucking 35 minutes of my life that I even regret putting my life into listening to it. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS WHATEVER POSSIBLE!