Give it a few listens - 72%

Enverxis, December 1st, 2005

White Zombie started out pretty groovy with Acid/Art Rock releases such as Gods on Voodoo Moon, Pig Heaven and their unreleased Demo Tape from 1986. But they went downhill with Punk/Horrorcore releases such as Psycho-Head Blowout and Soul Crusher, although Soul Crusher had a few good tunes ... and then Make Them Die Slowly ... the key step between the garbage releases of the mid-80s and the masterpiece that would become La Sexorcisto.

I would never really call White Zombie a metal band, Mainstream American society might label them a Heavy Metal band but they are not in my opinion, never have been and never will be, Astro Creep 2000 might be passable as metal to some people but I dont see how any of their previous releases could be mistaken for metal.

This is also the first album in which Rob started to "growl", every recording before hand his voice has been *very* nasal.

Make Them Die Slowly does indeed sound like half-paced thrash rock that never gets out of second gear, and on the first listen I was thinking "what the hell was that ?", but I went back and listened to it a few times and despite the terrible recording (especially the bass, its there but at about -25dB) I actually find this album fairly groovy.

The lyrics are fairly simple but less psychadelic than previous releases and use the standard "Rob Zombie Vocabulary" which most words and phrases re-feature at least twice if you go through the whole discography.

Demon Speed is a fairly average track, nothing stands out and nothing really catches your attention.
Disaster Blaster is a bit more groovy and has some funky guitar riffs, although the version on the 1989 EP God of Thunder (Disaster Blaster II) is indeed better.
Murderworld is one of the better tracks on the CD, being probably the most brutal, some of the riffs are fairly similar to Disaster Blaster and Revenge.
in Revenge, Rob actually seems to be getting some volume variation out of his voice, fairly catchy tune but not as good as Murderworld.
Acid Flesh is has the most upbeat tempo out of all of the songs, probably the best one on the CD.
Power Hungry is a very unstructured song that features rap-like lyrics, you either like it or absolutely hate it and skip to the last track
Godslayer, which is a slow "doomy" sort of track, has some of the best riffs on the CD.

Unfortunately for us (and perhaps WZ), there were quite a few tracks that had to be scrapped (Dead Ringer, Punishment Park, Star Slammer, Scum Kill II) because in the first studio they went to do the recording at they ran out of tracks and in the second studio they ran out of money, so Bill Laswell of Caroline records offered them a 7-track recording which was better than nothing I guess.

If you expect this album to be close to La Sexorcisto or Astro Creep 2000 you will hate it, if you were a fan of WZ from their early stages you probably dont mind or enjoy this recording. I went backwards with my discovery of WZ but still manage to appreciate this recording