Why, oh why? - 60%

HexDemon666, June 8th, 2008

Alright, so when I first heard the tribute band featuring Rob Zombie on the VH1 Rock Honors opening for KISS, covering their greatest song ever (in my opinion), I was excited to find out that Rob had previously covered the song. I searched frantically for a download of this and I finally found it (some time ago as of writing this review). What I heard made me want to cry.

The first song, God of Thunder, the one fucking song I cared about, is probably the worst on this album. Not because it sucks compared to the original, but because it sucks in general. It's not so bad until that ballsy-as-fuck chorus which Rob manages to completely butcher. I can't really describe it, but he should of stuck to just shouting it out instead of this sing-songy style he opts for. The rest of the song is solid, but the chorus just fucking ruins it.

The next song, Love Razor, ain't so bad. I REALLY like the intro. I don't know why, but the guitar riffs make me all warm and fuzzy inside (in a totally non-gay, but completely heavy metal way). And the song is just going along and it's really quite enjoyable. The drumming is really solid and adds some much needed intensity to the song, allowing for the guitars to approach a slower, doomier, groovier style. It works well. The only weak point of this song is that it's 5 minutes long. 3 and a half minutes is about as much as I can take. I mean, there are some fresh riffs after that point, but they would've been better off putting them somewhere earlier in the song and lopping off the last minute and a half to 2 minutes.

The last song on the EP, Disaster Blaster 2, is pretty much the best. It has a very heavy guitar riff. Ah, the good ol' days when guitarists could lay down a fat, heavy riff that was more than just a breakdown. The song picks up and it doesn't change much, but it's a solid song and keeps your interest. There are also a bunch of drum fills in the style of Black Night by Deep Purple. Like the last song, this one is also 5 minutes long, but it's not nearly as boring, so I think it works.

All in all, it's not such a bad little album. When I first heard it, I probably would've given it a 2 simply on principle (you don't fuck with greatness if you're just gonna fuck it up), but after listening to it later, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It's still nothing to write home about and only really worth having if you're a Zombie fan. KISS fans, there's nothing to see here.