Why, oh why? - 60%

HexDemon666, June 8th, 2008

Alright, so when I first heard the tribute band featuring Rob Zombie on the VH1 Rock Honors opening for KISS, covering their greatest song ever (in my opinion), I was excited to find out that Rob had previously covered the song. I searched frantically for a download of this and I finally found it (some time ago as of writing this review). What I heard made me want to cry.

The first song, God of Thunder, the one fucking song I cared about, is probably the worst on this album. Not because it sucks compared to the original, but because it sucks in general. It's not so bad until that ballsy-as-fuck chorus which Rob manages to completely butcher. I can't really describe it, but he should of stuck to just shouting it out instead of this sing-songy style he opts for. The rest of the song is solid, but the chorus just fucking ruins it.

The next song, Love Razor, ain't so bad. I REALLY like the intro. I don't know why, but the guitar riffs make me all warm and fuzzy inside (in a totally non-gay, but completely heavy metal way). And the song is just going along and it's really quite enjoyable. The drumming is really solid and adds some much needed intensity to the song, allowing for the guitars to approach a slower, doomier, groovier style. It works well. The only weak point of this song is that it's 5 minutes long. 3 and a half minutes is about as much as I can take. I mean, there are some fresh riffs after that point, but they would've been better off putting them somewhere earlier in the song and lopping off the last minute and a half to 2 minutes.

The last song on the EP, Disaster Blaster 2, is pretty much the best. It has a very heavy guitar riff. Ah, the good ol' days when guitarists could lay down a fat, heavy riff that was more than just a breakdown. The song picks up and it doesn't change much, but it's a solid song and keeps your interest. There are also a bunch of drum fills in the style of Black Night by Deep Purple. Like the last song, this one is also 5 minutes long, but it's not nearly as boring, so I think it works.

All in all, it's not such a bad little album. When I first heard it, I probably would've given it a 2 simply on principle (you don't fuck with greatness if you're just gonna fuck it up), but after listening to it later, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It's still nothing to write home about and only really worth having if you're a Zombie fan. KISS fans, there's nothing to see here.

Haha Yes! Fuck Kiss! - 83%

DawnoftheShred, July 15th, 2007

With two full-length albums between this and their last EP (the lackluster Psycho Head Blowout), one could be sure that White Zombie had plenty of opportunities for improvement. And they most certainly did. While Make Them Die Slowly provided the first taste of the White Zombie that most of us are familiar with, it was the addition of Mr. Yuenger on guitars for this EP that the true Zombie sound was fashioned. And with the same penchant for simple, effective riffing that he possessed on the albums that would follow, as well as Zombie's now recognizable vocal delivery and love of horror movie lyrics, this EP is a sure fire winner and a necessary addition to the collection of any fan of La Sexorcisto or Astro Creep.

The album begins with the title track, a cover of Kiss' odious "God of Thunder." But injected with that Zombie sense of humor, it's surprisingly listenable. Yuenger's tone is far more sinister than Frehley's ever was or would be and the song is better because of it. But it's the two originals that help this EP slay. "Love Razor" does indeed sound similar to some of the La Sexorcisto stuff, with a few riffs that pass as fucking thrash riffs (mid-paced at best, of course). There is a healthy amount of groove riffing injected in there, but it's to be expected, as Zombie was always more closely associated with the alternative scene than the metal scene. The true gem of this is "Disaster Blaster 2," a leaner, meaner version of the Make Them Die Slowly track. Again, more thrash/groove with some nasty vocals from Rob, but a bit more ferocious and memorable. Overall a nice complement to MTDS.

Again, probably only for fans of later-era White Zombie, or perhaps longtime haters of Kiss looking to hear some noisy bastards scuz up one of their songs.

Not bad... - 75%

FrostbittenCandy, May 17th, 2005

This was the first White Zombie recording to feature J. Yuenger on guitar and although it isn't as great as La Sexorcisto you could tell they were on their way. The production is clear but with a nice amount of chunk to it. It isn't overtly flashy but it gets the job done. Suites the music well. Every instrument can easily be heard and sounds very natural, almost like a polished rehearsal.

1) God of Thunder is pretty much worthless other than for a laugh or two. They do little that adds to the song and from the way Rob sings I can't help but think that it was meant to make fun of Kiss (as the cover also seems to suggest).
2) Love Razor is a pretty cool, energetic tune with sections that somewhat resembles things we would later hear on La Sexorcisto as well as Astro Creep. Not much to say about this one though.
3) Disaster Blaster II is pretty much like the first one (from Make Them Die Slowly) except that there is an extra riff or two and the song is arranged in a much better fashion, which ultimately renders it more enjoyable than the original. The best song on this EP.

Overall this is a pretty good effort and is a step up from "Make Them Die Slowly," which could be a little monotonous at times. I'd recommend downloading it since it's probably really hard to find nowadays. If you were to check out one song from this let it be DB2.