From The Devil's Tomb is praiseworthy - 85%

730, July 3rd, 2012

Putting this animal under the needle for the first time I thought to myself, oh great; another band playing the time machine game, adorned in anti-christian outerwear with blasphemy as jewelry. I took issue with their performance too. It wasn't "accomplished" enough. But the buzz in the underground had to be warranted to a certain degree, right? So I gave them another spin. I got over myself and Weapon crept under my sheets, swords drawn, forked tongues hissing as they simultaneously cast old and familiar spells on your Icelandic son.

The spells in question are the inspirational acts Weapon pay homage to while creating a fully realized sound of their own, as if they were stationed in Edmonton by the dark lord himself in order to carry the torch left in their spike-studded hands by their elders. From The Devil's Tomb is like a diabolic listening party in the burning pits of hell. I'm immersed by echos of blastin' yet thoughtful Dissection; the ghoulish occult and carnal dimensions of Morbid Angel, the anthemic and outrageous Celtic Frost and the relentlessness and bile of Kreator. They are all on the menu, served raw. The blood squirts as you pierce each piece of meat with your fork and it trickles all over the plate as you cut it.

This blackened death mass thrashes onwards with such reckless abandon and irreverence, one can not help but join in. Sure, I could mention similar artists that are tighter, but such rehearsed attributes would rob Weapon of their charm. Weapon's claws shine, sing and cut through the opposition like butter, when other bands are guilty of de-clawing themselves by over-thinking their strategy and bombarding us with overwrought studio products. Where other acts are flat and dry, Weapon pulsates and flows.

From The Devil's Tomb feels loose, alive and sprightly - yet vile, dirty and surprisingly expansive. The latter is achieved with tasteful, subtle, and perfectly timed supplementary sounds and instrumental additions that give the album depth and an element of surprise in just the right doses that never override the music's primal base. This gives Weapon an edge other bands wish they had. Worshiping the past rarely sounds this classy and full of righteous flair.
Quality song writing, a spirited performance and smart production make From The Devil's Tomb praiseworthy, and it comes highly recommended.
- Birkir Fjalar