Exhausting 80-minute journey, highly intense - 60%

NausikaDalazBlindaz, April 20th, 2012

First and last full-length for San Francisco band Weakling, this album is very highly regarded by many and few other BM records I've heard can match this one in intensity and aggression. I have to say though that I don't enjoy it much and can't find what I'd call a "soul" in the music. Weakling do all the right things a BM band do: the album has a murky atmosphere and a slightly muddy production and the vocalist is heart-rendingly screechy but I get the impression that this is the kind of all-extremely-technical instrumental riff-based epic alternative prog-metal album that once upon a time fellow San Francisco band Metallica could have pulled off before they recorded their self-titled album which for better and for worse propelled that lot on a different trajectory. I suspect that had Weakling continued they would have developed a much more distinctive sound and style while keeping their aggression and deep intense approach and I assume the band would play around with the black metal elements of the music instead of observing them with strict reverence.

Clocking in at close to 80 minutes with the music so full-on and relentless, though it isn't especially fast generally, this album can be an exhausting journey. Track 2 alone takes up 20 minutes - phew! There is hardly space to take a breath before the band plunges straight into one of quite a few long instrumental passages. Even the quieter, slower moments on the album can be draining. It's all very well to sound like your anger and emotions are very concentrated to the nth degree but when the whole recording is like this for nearly 80 minutes, you're going to lose listeners who reach their pain thresholds quickly.

An original version of this review appeared in Issue 15 (2007) of The Sound Projector which is now out of print.

Weakling - Dead as Dreams - 33%

Thralldom, March 26th, 2012

Honestly, I do not have anything against this band or their fans. However, this is one of the biggest examples of a band that releases a single album that is endlessly (and needlessly) hyped by fans and critics. I am both surprised and glad to see that I am not the first person to find this to be the case, although I do not fully agree with what some other reviewers had to say about this album.

The members of Weakling do have some level of instrumental ability that is above many other black metal acts, especially those from the United States. However, their compositional skills mostly seem to extend to creating unnecessarily long songs with incredibly pretentious and ridiculous song titles. Before going any further, I would like to apologize for the heavy use of descriptors, but I feel particularly passionate about what I am writing in this review.

The unfortunate fact is that, for me (and a few others at least), this band comes across as faceless amidst a sea of more talented bands. While it is apparent that they consider the very talented Swans to be an important influence and they occasionally almost manage to capture the slow, grinding feelings of releases such as Cop on this album, they are generally unworthy of being seen as Swans' essence translated into black metal. The vocals are pretty typical, and actually not offensive at all, but they lack any real identity and they fail to convey anything more than the most generic emotions.

They might have eventually amounted to something if they stuck around for more than one album. That is, if they decided to make an album that was actually about something other than maxing out the recording length of a CD. There is really no purpose for the songs to be so long and directionless.

Although there are no real standout compositions here, I will give the album some credit for occasionally being ambitious, not being about something childish like suicide or depression and not sounding like they recorded it in one of the band members' mothers' basements. Despite the cool album cover, listening to this album will ultimately result in wasting over an hour of your time that could have been spent doing something productive.

Phantasmagorical Parade of Transcendent Riffs - 96%

atanamar, August 4th, 2011

This is the sound of war, insensate misanthropy unleashed, revenge, sorrow, triumph, madness. Weakling is, to me, the apex of American black metal. Towering, orchestral melodies float from dark corners of abandoned cathedrals. Searing and utterly unique riffs saw off bits of your being until only the music is left. Black metal doesn't usually evoke a wide emotional response, but the tremendous, sprawling and exhausting compositions herein will draw out a full array of passions.

Conceived in 1998 but released in 2000 with limited distribution, Dead as Dreams would be Weakling's sole recorded output. Legends grew around the CD's obscure origins, including fictional tales of treasure maps that would lead to buried copies of the album. Born of the twisted minds of John Gossard and Joshua Smith (of The Fucking Champs), Dead as Dreams is made perfect by a unique convocation of musicians.

Dead as Dreams unfolds over five elongated tracks. These songs move in a myriad of meters, unfurling teeming riffs that gallop with the thunder of an infinite cavalry. Dead as Dreams features my favorite use of keyboards on any metal album. Casey Ward's augmentative accents are never intrusive, insinuating diaphanous tendrils of melody into the engulfing atmosphere. Every one of these protracted compositions is packed with compelling twists, turns and revelatory crescendos of majestic guitar mastery. The synergistic creativity of John Gossard and Joshua Smith is a rare wonder to behold.

The feedback-borne intro to the title track is a singular, essential metal moment. Once you hear these melancholic melodies, you'll never forget them. The drums pick up the pace of the brooding theme, showcasing Sam Foster's absolute percussive genius. You know what's coming, you can feel it build. There's a brief pause before one of the most sublime musical phrases you'll ever here, and it's merely a stepping stone. The soaring melody is cashed in for a crushing wave of distortion, turning loose a phantasmagorical parade of transcendent riffs.

John Gossard's eccentric vocal performance is an essential ingredient in this masterful concoction. Each song features only a bare minimum of actual lyrics; the remaining space is filled out with rambling and demented cachinnations. Incoherent mutterings, grunts, gurgles and screams are delivered with startling conviction, conveying waves of anguished emotion. This isn't weary, woe-is-me downerism, but the wretched cries of ruined lives, shattered corpses, and tortured prisoners of war.

The production on Dead as Dreams is superlative, nailing a perfect balance of guitars, drums, keys and vocals. The guitars sport a buzzing, meaty and instantly recognizable tone. The bass is a bit buried at times, but the album's extensive dynamics give Sarah Weiner plenty of moments to shine.

Even after years of spinning this beast of an album, it still delivers the same rush of adrenaline, the same desire to rage, the same crushing melancholy. Weakling's lasting legacy is a 76 minute departure from reality. Black metal purists will debate its merits, as well as its place in the history of the genre. For me, there's no argument; Dead as Dreams is on my short list of desert island albums.

Originally published here: http://www.metalinjection.net/black-metal-history-month/essential-black-metal-listening-weakling-dead-dreams

Could Have Answered This Sooner - 13%

OzzyApu, July 9th, 2010

I’ve known about Weakling for a number of years, but I was never motivated enough to seek them out and hear them for my own benefit. From what I’ve seen, they’re a love / hate kind of band, with very little middle ground for fans to settle upon. This is their only full-length release, yet nears a CD length’s time limit with every track exceeding ten minutes. Hell, one of them barely skims over twenty, and a couple others head toward fifteen minutes, too. Now a songwriter needs to be damn good in order to write something worthwhile, but to make something worthwhile that spans as long as these songs takes a whole lot more, and this is where Weakling fails.

With Weakling, I honestly don’t care who the members are, which is a sad fact. Most bands I care to know who the people are making the music, but this one release is too impersonal, regardless of how well-known the band is in the underground black metal scene. But members aside, the music they play is hardly groundbreaking or interesting, with very few moments in this +75 minute monster that hold fast and steady. Off the bat, the production is both raw and modern; it was recorded during that era in-between the new and the old, but it doesn’t know which side it wants to be on. It’s a decent balance, and I guess the raw edge mostly comes from the guitar distortion – like as if the amp was on fire and the dust from the strings flies through the electricity in the air; the tone is musty and wretched, but not as vicious as it is vintage.

The absence of a clean layer over the instruments causes the listener to leap between tones, which is something the band pulled off nicely. The execution is honest, but the songwriting is anything but stellar; expect overly long, underdeveloped tracks with inconsistent sparks of reason in a sea of drudging monotony, and you’ve pretty much nailed Weakling’s formula. Doom, drone, noise, and hellish post / progressive elements are fed to the stereotypically rough and stale black metal tone, which makes the tracks a little unorthodox at times regarding certain riffs and tunes, but it isn’t anything that one can’t handle. Before questioning the influences, I get bored and start skipping songs; there isn’t any ethereal, invigorating feeling like with Moonsorrow or Burzum – two bands that manage to make long songs while actually keeping the listener interested. It’s mostly the guitars, switching between standard black metal affairs (tremolo and aggressive riffs) and the other elements to create a twisted world with a pitch that I can only pair with the noise that comes out of vuvuzelas – that’s probably the closest you’re going to get when describing the guitar tone during the atmospheric moments.

The one anomaly that’s actually worth a damn is during the intro to the title track, which is almost the only track worth a damn in the first place. It was the first track I heard and it unfortunately set me off on the wrong foot, since nothing else recorded on this album sounds anything like it (a big letdown for me). Those who’ve heard it know what I’m talking about – the blissful, super-atmospheric intro with the rising rumble and piercing note that erupts into melodic, clean guitar and synth harmonies spanning a few minutes – and know that it marks the peak of Weakling’s pretty worthless existence. It’s the only section that I care for and probably the only thing I’d recommend to anyone wanting to hear this band (aside from that brief synth break around twelve minutes into the same song). But that’s as good as it’s going to get, and it wouldn’t be such a problem if the band shortened every song at least by half the length and focused more on straightforward songs than bedtime tracks.

With the guitars swaying between moody and desolate, the rest of the instruments are entirely the uniform. It reacts entirely to whatever the guitars are doing, which is simple formula at the core (for something like the title track’s intro this isn’t so bad) but lacks identity and pleasure. The blubber bass tries to stay alive at the low end throughout each song’s expanse of nothingness, like some raft out in the middle of the ocean clinging above the abyss. The drumming is a mess, with the double bass abused to the point of decay on a drum kit that totally neglected the drum bass; think feet patting pillows at vigorous speeds. The clinking clamor of the snares and cymbals, the offspring of the uncooked production, is the bane of Weakling’s sound, and it’s something that one should prepare against. There are blast beats, and then there are blast beats up the ass – this guy does it so much and so far up the ass you’d think he was your local health inspector.

Now the vocalist… and talk about useless. His ability to shriek and scream in an agonized manner isn’t the bad part, but how futile his contributions are is what pisses me off. Nothing on this album constitutes the need for a vocalist – not the black metal sections and surely not the post / noise / cyber sections. These songs drag on and on like soundscapes for insomniacs, but then you have Gossard trying to bawl and weep hoarsely like the idiot from Limbonic Art. The instruments drown him out considerably, almost like he’s in a completely different production setting, and nothing fruitful comes of their inclusion; what a waste, as the guitars alone do enough to set the mood (when they pull it off).

Go for something else, as this band garnered way too much attention for recording a whole lot with very little to say. At the end of the day, I’d take the two aforementioned sections of the title track and the bass break (and the bit afterward) of “No One Can Be Called As a Man While He'll Die” (thought I’d mention that last) and then jump ship, because nothing else is worth my time. Believe me, there isn’t anything else on here that’d be of use to you if you have even remotely average standards and the ability to let common sense do half the work. For a band that blends progressive / post elements with black metal, I highly recommend you check out Altar Of Plagues instead.

Heart stopper- what USBM should be - 95%

robin2220, November 14th, 2007

USBM has gained itself a reputation as the worst type of black metal. This is due to the stereotype that USBM is (for the most part) instrumentally challenged, poor in musical quality, cheap substitutes of their renowned European brothers, lacking efficient drum quality and guitar riffs, and overall minimalists nature. For the most part I can agree in saying that this is true, but not when the band in question is San Francisco’s quintet Weakling.

Weakling bring on a style of progressive black metal that uses the suicidal nature of your common USBM bands and takes it to a new level of progressive intensity. Their production is raw, but not to the point where it alters the experience of the music. Their songs range from ten minutes to twenty minutes each, and they do have the tendency to drag (but not as much as you would probably think). Trust me when I say that this is not your quick and simple listening experience, for each song is packed with intense and emotional extremes in practically every aspect of it’s cutting-edge sound.

With the opening riffs of Cut Their Grain And Place Fire Therein you will immediately get a feel for atmospheric intensity Weakling has to deliver. The opening drums are sharp and heavy and the vocals reminisce that off a dying man crying out in agony. Despite the fact that the vocals are easily the weakest part of the music, they fit the vivid imagery that the music gives. That image is that of intense internal suffering. Weakling also manage to pull off some amazing (and long) guitar solos without ruining the intensity of the music or giving it that DragonForce cheese vibe. I must also mention the perfection in the layering of the guitar that gives the music such an intense, inhuman vibe. It is chilling right down to the bone.

For what Weakling looses with overtime they make up with dynamics that require a dedicated and able listener to comprehend. Naturally, if you do not like long songs, you will have a hard time getting into this album. For moments that seem like there is no point could drive an unable listener to skipping to the next track. It’s usually a lot easier for listeners who are familier with this style and/ or the album itself to become entranced in it’s malevolent beauty. The title track, Dead As Dreams, for example contains some of the greatest highlights of the album, such as it’s epic and mind numbing four minute intro, but also contains some points of extreme dragging, mainly in the fourteen to eighteen or so part of the twenty minute long song.

Cut Their Grain And Place Fire Therein and This Entire F**ing Battlefield are by far the most driven songs on the album. On This Entire F**ing Battlefield you can really get a feel for some of the keyboards used (since they’re usually drowned out by the guitar otherwise). The keyboard symphonies are beautiful. It is my personal favorite off the album. By this point I should mention that Weakling is definitely not one of your slow and depressive black metal bands. No One Can Be Called As A Man While He’s Dying has some of the most doom-esque elements in it with the bass breakdown (which truly shows off the skills of the otherwise rather obscure bassist).

Weakling can show that they mellow out with the seventeen minute closing track Disasters In The Sun, which takes a very dark, funeral doom approach with it’s epic intro and outro. The song allows me to see the connection Weakling obviously has with the funeral doom metal pioneers Asunder. However, just like No One Can Be Called As A Man While He’s Dying, the song is not all slow and depressive. With this album Weakling have proven that USBM can stand strong, even in the most inadequate genre of black metal. Dead As Dreams is a rather unknown jewel that deserves a place in every true black metal fan’s arsenal. It is my definition of epic.

(Originally written for Sputnikmusic.com)

Great USBM - 90%

WilliamAcerfeltd, August 5th, 2007

The USBM scene is infamous for quite bad black metal. This is true, basically because a lot of people in their late teens early twenties make myspace BM bands. More often that not, these people cannot play their instruments very well, if it all, to make matters worse, they often are very poor musicians who couldn't write a good riff to save a life. When you mix these two elements together you get very bad black metal. This has attached a rather negative stigma to the USBM scene. A lot of people will make vast sweeping statements like "USBM sucks". However, there are some real good bands out there, with some real talent, such as Profantica and Weakling.

This album sounds like suicidal BM, ala Xasthur. Not the grim, cult Norwegian black metal scene. So don't be expecting an album which sounds like Tsjuder or Lja. The riffs in this album are pretty good and offer a lot of variety. They would have to be, after all the songs on this album average 17 and a half minutes. Despite the songs, length, they will not get boring.

The solos on this album are fucking ear orgasms. Take the solo on the first song for instance "Cut Their Grain & Place Fire Therein". There is a long, slow, epic and skilful and epic solo on that song. If you don't like metal, you'll probably think it sounds like a cat being strangled, but if you are a fan of the metal scene, you'll no doubt be able to appreciate the talent which is involved in pulling off a solo like that.

This guy is a great musician and can put together some pretty cool and interesting riffs. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for his vocal performance. He's basically just yelling in a high pitched voice. Apparently, this guy wanted some one else to do the vocals because he "knew he sucked", however there was no one else around to perform them so he ended up having to do it. The vocals do suit the image of the music, which is that of despair but, hey they could have been done better. I thought he was going to be like the guy from Melancolia, start off in that high pitched scream and then go into black metal vocals, but he didn't. The vocals are the only weak point of the music.

The production is raw, so if you like raw production in your black metal then you'll no doubt enjoy this. The raw production adds to the overall, depressive, brooding atmosphere this guy has got going. It certainly wouldn't have been a smart decision to go with the clean, clear production because the music would have lost some of its appeal. In short, the raw production suits the music being played here.

The songs as mentioned above, are extremely long, it’s longer than Opeth's Morningrise by about 11 minutes. So don't expect this to be a quick listen. I would also suggest you spend a fair bit of time with this album. As while the songs are good, you can start to appreciate the songs more when you start to know them better. This album is a must if you are a fan of long songs (like I am).

This guy had amazing talent. It's a real shame he decided to cancel the project after this release for whatever reason. All this guy would need to do is find a decent vocalist and he would have had one of the best bands to come out of the US. Some people even like his vocals surprisingly, so don't think the vocals ruin this album completely. You do get over them in the end. This album is a must have if you are a fan of suicidal BM.

Conclusion: The above is recommended for download or purchase.

United States black metal with talent - 90%

Darkwinterdweller, March 19th, 2007

Black metal was essentially born in Europe, more specifically in northern countries, as Norway and Sweden. As time went on and the genre became more well known, naturally, we see those of other countries taking a shot at there own similar creations as well. Any new idea, of course, spawns it's own imitators. To put it simply, most United States black metal, is more times then not, is very poorly executed and lacks the spirit present in black metal bands from Europe (Kult Ov Azazel, being a good example). However, of all places, California's Weakling here have released something exceptional.

The music here is best described as atmospheric black metal, with smaller hints of other subgenres, such as drone, viking, progessive, melodic black, among others. The vocals are somewhat typical, and they do indeed sound very similar to those of Varg Vikernes, except a bit more sorrowful and higher pitched. Keyboards play a major role in the overall product here, they are very effective in creating the dark and mysterious atmosphere intended. Especially on the tracks No One Can Be Called As A Man While He'll Die and Cut Their Grain And Place Fire Therein. The guitarist here seems to be quite talented, he manages to create some very creative riffs, my favorites being on the tracks No One Can Be Called As A Man While He'll Die and Disasters In The Sun. The drums, are a bit less audible then the other instruments, but are varied enough and do there part in complimenting the other instruments I would say. The songs themselves are quite long, the shortest being ten minutes, and the longest being around twenty minutes. Despite there length, they very rarely get boring as the song structures progress and change quite a lot throughout the time. The lyrics are not provided at, but are said to be about epic themes, war, and battles. Hopefully one day they will be published.

This release truly shocked me, when intially hearing that this was a band from the United States. This is an atmospheric masterpiece in every aspect. It's just unfortunate that this band split up shortly after there only full length here, and will more then likely never reform, according to comments from a member in a recent interview. I would recommend this to any fan of black metal, or any fan of atmospheric music in general.

Unique, Beautiful - A Masterpiece - 99%

bimu, December 23rd, 2006

Weakling's only full-length is one of my favourite albums, in any genre.

This said, on to the review. With five lengthy tracks, "Dead As Dreams" is a truly unique and impressive album that sucks the listener in and never lets go. Its style is mostly black metal but there are elements of other genres present, which should not be overlooked as they make this album unlike quite anything in the genre.

Despite some similarities to Burzum, Shining or USBM bands such as Xasthur, Weakling strays significantly from the style of these bands. The two main similarities between Weakling and, e.g. Burzum are the vocals and the layered guitars. Weakling's vocals are indeed similar to Varg's screams, but while Varg's vocals were filled with anger, John Gossard's voice - technically terrible but very effective - expresses mainly despair. Also, it is used more chaotically which adds to the overall feel of the music, which is that of being traped in the midst of a battlefield with no possibility of escape, chaos all around, thoughts filled with death, despair, hatred.

Guitars on "Dead As Dreams" are truly amazing. To be precise, their layering is absolutely outrageous. You may not hear it at first but when listening carefully, you'll notice that the guitar tracks are composed of countless layers, some of which playing exactly the same riff. This is used most effectively in the title track, whose last 7-or-so minutes begin with a single guitar track and progressively, as the motif evolves, new layers are added (+other instruments), which results in an incredibly thick and mesmerizing wall of guitar sound at the end of the track. This MUST be heard as it's truly magnificient.

I also enjoy the drumming, which is varied enough and sounds especially dynamic during blast-beats - the fact that the drums are not triggered and organic-sounding very helps this a lot. Also, keyboards are used very subtly but add to the atmosphere.

In general, apart from black metal, Weakling incorporate elements of viking metal (the title track reminds me a bit of Sólstafir), post-rock, and even progressive rock, but they are twisted and re-interpreted, melting into something of its own kind.

There are certain albums that are not only excellent as a whole but also have moments of pure genius (even if only a few seconds) - "Dead As Dreams" has two such moments. The first one is the wall-of-guitars ending of the title track mentioned before. The other one can be found in "The Entire Fucking Battlefield", it comes at about 6 minutes into the song, when a calm clean guitar part turns into an extremely dynamic black metal blast. It's one of those moments when you actually expect that an outburst of noise will be thrown at you any second but despite the anticipation, when it actually comes, it destroys you with its ferocity and sheer power. Really really powerful.

Bottom-line: Absolutely recommended.

Ingredients: Imitation Black Metal - 36%

Diarrhea_Face, October 6th, 2006

Weakling, this band come from the United States, California to be exact. As I encountered the other reviews on this site I had decided to check them out. I am always in search of good American bands, black metal bands. However this turned out to be another complete and utter waste of time and really waste of energy. These guys remind me of the typical American band trying to create something they are not and will never be a part of. What comes to mind are an overfed, overindulged, pampered and uneducated bunch of "artistic" individuals. It takes a certain amount of life experience to be able to make music which exudes anguish. They put so much effort; as the other reviewer stated, into adhering to the cliches of the genre. The musicianship is not all together bad, in fact if they played in some trendy upbeat heavy metal (or perhaps indie rock band now that I think of it) they might be able to pass the bill, but not here, no way, never!

The sound on this recording is very clean, as if it were not mastered. You can hear exactly what kind of equipment they're using and actually things are quite seperate, which with the style they are attempting to play, is not good. The vocalist at first I thought might not be bad, I seem to judge them rather quickly, so I gave it some time. Well it turned out to be so bad that I had to actually get up and turn off the stereo I was so pissed off and nearly snapped the disc in half. His screams are those halfway screechy, halfway growling type, but forced into a sort of wimper such as with a Burzum or a Silencer. The problem is it sounds so fake, like a spit in the face of those people who actually suffer for their art or within their art. The drumming I must say is also very generic, everything recycles over and over again, it's like listening to someone practice. He plays the same fills, which start to get on your nerves fast. The sad part is it sounds like he has a nice kit, probably paid for by his rich family. To me there is absolutely nothing which redeems this album, or this band. Even if you are open minded it is still not worth your time, there are better things in life than this, hell reading this crappy review is probably more stimulating than their music and guess what, it's free!!

Impressive, most impressive - 95%

purerockfury, December 8th, 2004

It's hard to believe that something this good and epic came from the USA. The states have had a hard time coming out with true black metal that stands out, but Weakling certainly has broken that trend.
When you hear the first track, "Cut their Grain and Place Fire Therein" my thoughts turned to early Emperor and Satyricon with a Burzum-esque ideas. Unlike most black metal in the past several years, this has a sound than most albums of recent. What really makes this album special is the mood of it, very epic in a battle sense. While the vocals are not even in comparison to that of the classic BM vocals, it follows the trend of the sound, it blends in. Although they are not high pitch shreeks of blasphomey as we would want them to be, they are disturbingly demonic and make quite an impact. The guitars are going so fast and are so distorted at times, the music is almost hypnotic. The riffwork deffinately follows the early black metal trends. The drums are mixed perfectly allowing the ride of pierce the ears while the kick drums and snare pummel your skull. The keyboards are not up front enough to make a huge impact, but they deffinately help the ambiance of the band. What amazed me the most is that the shortest song is roughly ten minutes, yet does not loose my attention.
If you are skeptic of american black metal, this album will make you a believer.

rather weak - 48%

Cheeses_Priced, August 31st, 2004

The first song is the best one on the album – the opening riff is very nice and there’s a weird keyboard (?) effect that’s very eerie, and a little later in the song there’s some very nice intertwining guitar melodies. An above-average slice of black metal to be sure.

But… already one begins to sense that something might be amiss. Four measures of this, eight measures of that, transitions that are abrupt but come exactly where one would expect… a certain feel of predictability, tameness behind the savagery. An unfortunate rockish feel to the songwriting, in spite riffs which are an unabashed tribute to early-90s Norwegian black metal sensibilities.

And not just the riffing. Weakling have taken care to adhere to proper black metal convention in most every level of their aesthetics: the vocals are delivered in a harsh high-pitched scream, sometimes recalling Varg Vikernes, the riffs tend towards simple, over-distorted high-pitched sawing, the production is awful… you’re familiar with the sound. They even follow the style of melody very closely, for the most part. But Weakling is a band with progressive aspirations, and augment all of these traditional elements with some very capable lead guitar playing (not really actual “solos”), clean guitar segments, very lengthy song structures (the five tracks run seventy-six minutes), and some ambient sound. This is surely somebody’s idea of the ideal black metal style (witness the clueless reviews from the indie scene hosted on Tumult Records’ website).

But it seems to me that they really got the whole thing backwards, if anything. All of those obvious things – the buzz saw guitars and screeching – they don’t really count for much by themselves – they’re certainly not intrinsic to the style. If anything, I’d trade all of the “progressive” elements here in for a more original melodic sensibility and general aesthetic… that would surely be more creative than taking all the stereotypes of an existing sound and “upgrading” it the way Weakling do (marking themselves as followers in the process). The attitude seems to be that all black metal music really represents is a surface aesthetic… a vocal style, a guitar sound, a particular style of melody… really, those were always relatively arbitrary things, not at all worth trapping under glass and worshipping for their own sake. The brilliance of good black metal is (was) in the design sensibilities and songwriting behind the grand gestures.

Weakling lets me down a bit there, as I alluded to above. I like some of the individual riffs and melodies, but the songs as a whole tend to meander or feel like slideshows of riffs, or just get into useless repetition… it never really comes together and feels like a unified whole, or gets the larger-than-life, more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts ambient feel of the best black metal. Actually, a lot of it seems rather aloof to me, like a replication of emotion rather than the real deal. If you want the straight truth, I just find the album boring.

Anyway, in spite of a few attention-getting qualities that make it stand out among contemporaries, I wouldn’t give an unqualified recommendation to this. Decent, even rather interesting at times, but it still doesn’t seem quite good enough. Best to stick with the classic Norwegian black metal releases if you really want to hear something in this vein.