It's still not black enough for me.. - 90%

UnleashtheHeathen, March 14th, 2004

"Still Not Black Enough", what many call the continuation or sequel to “The Crimson Idol” (which can be understood, as Blackie makes references to ‘the mirror’), is one of W.A.S.P.’s underrated albums. Blackie Lawless uses his gifted skill at songwriting like he did on “The Crimson Idol” on this album. The title track begins the roller coaster of darkness. The Jefferson Airplane cover of “Somebody to Love” is pretty decent, although I personally tend to lean towards the original, but the cover isn’t bad, it’s very good. “Black Forever” is a continuation of “Still Not Black Enough”, and kicks ass with a great chorus (the video isn’t bad either). “Scared to Death” reaches into people’s minds, and yanks out the fears that they have, “Goodbye America”, I’d like to think of the song saying about all the bad things people in America have done in the past. “Keep Holding On” and “Breathe”, are the main ballads of the album, and are emotional, and express lots of sadness (although, “Breathe” is more of a happier version I suppose). “Rock N’ Roll to Death” is going back to the W.A.S.P. we know, a real kick in the face song. “No Way out of Here” ends the dark album, and is also an enjoyable song.

Now, if you have the remastered CD, then you’ll find some bonus tracks. The two covers, “Whole Lotta Rosie” (AC/DC) and “Tie Your Mother Down” (Queen) are just as good, if not better than the originals. “One Tribe” is a decent song, has a sound similar to “The Crimson Idol”, which the other songs don’t possess.

In a nutshell, if you’re lucky enough to find this album, do so and buy it. It’s a true gem.