Hearing This Reminds Me Of How Much School Sucked - 70%

OzzyApu, June 28th, 2009

I’m reading the lyrics and it pretty much sums up my experience in school, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who can relate. It’s got more of an impact in the writing than it does in the actual music, but they both reflect on each other accordingly. The song sounds more serious and pissed off, bordering a half and half ballad but not entirely so. The solo itself soars above everything, but is like what less than ten seconds? Damn, Holmes could have easily strung it out and made this song completely awesome. Instead, it becomes one of the more passable tracks on the album that isn’t too standout.

“Paint It Black” isn’t a track known all too well within W.A.S.P. circles since it’s overlooked on the debut by the other staple tracks. However, I find it to be a really comforting cover that’s more colorful than a good handful on that very album. It has this psychedelic appeal with a groovy bass, plus who can forget that spacey solo!? It totally nails the vibe down - even in a genre such as this. I’ll give props to The Rolling Stones for writing it, but the character comes out on this cover version much more.

Both songs have more substance to them than most of the early W.A.S.P. songs, though they aren’t the most hard-hitting. They’re a good indicator when it comes to the general sound of the album, helping the anticipation kickstart until you actually hear the debut.