This Song Is The Shit - 83%

OzzyApu, June 28th, 2009

“Animal (Fuck Like A Beast),” “I Wanna Be Somebody,” and “Sleeping (In The Fire)” are all classics, but everyone remembers “L.O.V.E. Machine” for encompassing all the characteristics of early 80s W.A.S.P. It doesn’t have the best solo, best chorus, best verse, best lead or anything, but it still kicks ass in every category.

The verse is emotional as fuck, with the lyrics really coming alive through Blackie’s mournful yell. This is the one songs I sing along to every time I hear it since it puts me more in the music than the other ones… well, sans “Sleeping (In The Fire).” The guitars don’t really go all out, since they’re the same chords struck throughout, but in culmination with mainly Blackie’s voice you’ll find it to be a real treat.

The solo is also more classical and Maiden-esque than most of the other ones, which is a reason why I enjoy a hell of a lot. Drumming is perfect with the clamor of crashing cymbals, galloping double bass, and machinegun-like tom hits. Bass isn’t all too standout, even though the song goes up and down in intensity, which is a downer for Lawless since on the other songs he really does a standout job.

The last thing I want to say about this release is that I can’t hear a difference between the two versions here. Yes, it says that they are two different accounts, but they really aren’t different at all. One’s a radio version and the other is from the LP, but bottom line is that they highlight the same studio version. Whatever, don’t pick up this single, but let the awesomeness rub off and persuade you to check out the debut.