My Introduction To W.A.S.P. - 70%

OzzyApu, June 28th, 2009

Not this particular release, but the song itself.

Upon hearing this, I thought it was the most awesome song on the face of the earth – for those particular three minutes and forty-five seconds. Blackie’s voice soars and echoes above all else, the bass grumbles like a beast, the lead charges like the Australian light horse, and drumming capitalizes on any blank moments. The solo is just as crude and vulgar, showcasing the eclectic style of Holmes and Richards’ fast-paced assault.

The chorus is catchy as hell – “I! WANNA BE SOMEBODY! BE SOMEBODY SOON! I! WANNA BE SOMEBODY! BE SOMEBODY TOO!”

“Tormentor” is much more serious in nature and tone, with Lawless pouring his heart out over the chorus. He sounds so guilty but apologetic, so you can’t help but feel for his pain. The productions in both songs are generally great, with extra handles on the power of the drums. Unfortunately, it pales in the light of “I Wanna Be Somebody,” especially on the debut when it has to compete with songs like “Sleeping (In The Fire)” and “L.O.V.E. Machine.” It still is one of the better other tracks, so I’d say it’s a good choice to keep fans wishing there were other hits.

No doubt the title track for this single has a special place in my heart as the first W.A.S.P. song I ever heard. On it’s own, it’s got just as much balls as the debut, so get some if you don’t have any yourself.