Excellent release... - 88%

Sinner, January 1st, 2003

Following quite rapidly on the heels of 2001's excellent Unholy Terror, we now see the release of Wasp’s new output Dying For The World, an album which Lawless himself describes as a collection of songs to go kill people with.

True enough, the mood seems to be pretty grim straight from the beginning on with opener Shadow Man bringing back memories of the Kill Fuck Die album, (but this time without any of the electronics) and this basically sets the tone for the rest of the songs, taking you through stages of anger & desperation in turn.

This release also sees yet another different Wasp line-up, with guitarist Chris Holmes once again leaving the band and making way for Darrel Roberts, and long-time collaborator Frankie Banali completely taking over Stett Howland’s spot. On one hand this is a shame, because personally I found the previous line-up one of the strongest of the bands career, but on the other, both new members do their job more than adequately, and Lawless’s songwriting is, as usual, tops. (and of course, so is the production).

Anyway, coming back to the songs themselves, other highlights (apart from the opener) include both acoustic and normal versions of Hallowed Ground, which sports some of Blackie’s most emotional vocals in years, the up-tempo and catchy like hell Revengeance & My Wicked Heart and finally, what is probably the most experimental song on the album,Trial Of Tears, which features an incredible tension built-up towards the end.

To finish of this review I can say that once again, this is another first class release from Wasp, a band which never really disappointed me in the past (and probably never will in the future either, if the last albums are anything to go by), and is even slightly better than their previous one Unholy Terror.

This is What Unholy Terror Should Have Been!!! - 81%

Madman, December 1st, 2002

Like the title to the review says this IS what Unholy Terror should have been (i.e a good album). This album isn't really a progression or even that much of a change in style from Unholy Terror, just a better written album. Like Unholy Terror this album seems to be written with prior albums "The Headless Children" and "The Crimson Idol" in mind.

The album kicks off with "Shadow Man", a very good song with a catchy chorus and good build up. The opening lines of the song don't even sound like Blackie, they're raspy for a few seconds until Blackie shows up in full force. The next song "My Wicked Heart" is a song that was obviously written with "The Crimson Idol" in mind and could easily fit onto the album without anybody noticing. "Black Bone Torso" comes in at track 3 and it's more of a short and soft musical piece talking about the preachers who molest young children...a very chilling song. "Hell for Eternity" kicks off with a "ONE, TWO, FUCK YOU!!!" and heads into one of the best songs on the album.

"Hallowed Ground" the mandatory ballad comes next, W.A.S.P has only done a small handful of good ballads and this one isn't one of them. It's a decent song with a very strong lyrics that speek of the Twin Towers coming down, the song just doesn't do anything for me unfortunately.

"Revengeance" is a good song and redeems the album after the average and sometimes boring "Hallowed Ground". Another ballad "Trail of Tears" comes next and I'm surprised as it's a pretty good ballad, compared to most W.A.S.P. ballads it's a masterpeice. The only problem with this song though is that it slowly builds and builds then it builds some more and just when you think the songs is going to reach a climax...it stops!!! What the hell?!? It's just about to climax and it ends. Actually, if there was a climax to the song it could be a classic and possible W.A.S.P's best song but they ruin it by ending it early.

Next is "Stone Cold Killers". I love the chorus in this one, it's a signature W.A.S.P. sing along chorus that will leave you wanting more! Up next is "Rubber Man" an above average song that could have used a little bit more work but it works and it's worthy of being on a W.A.S.P. album. Now that would be a great end to a very good album but unfortunately there's one more song...a different take of "Hallowed Ground", now you get to hear the song acoustically. I do not like this version at all and I find it to be a waste of time especially because I find that repeating a song at the end of the disc just ruins the flow and vibe of the album, I press the stop button as soon as "Rubber Man" is over to tell you the truth.

Overall a good disc and THIS is what "Unholy Terror" should have been, actually this is what the return to form that the band promised in 1999 should have been but instead they released "Helldorado". If you already like W.A.S.P. or you want a decent intro into this band I suggest you go out and buy this A.S.A.P.