Two For The Price Of One - 76%

OzzyApu, April 14th, 2011

“Cries In The Night” is the only real ballad from W.A.S.P.’s sophomore album (“Wild Child” was half and half). Therefore, you know this one will be dripping with emotion, vigor, epicness, and sprinkled with Lawless’ mournful vocal performance above all else. Not only that, but you get two of the same tracks, and let me tell you now before I forget that you will neverever… get tired of this song.

Its replayability is enormous, with myself blasting it in the car more often than most any other song on the album. The amount of sorrow instilled just baffles my mind. Lawless sounds more troubled than on “Wild Child,” more in control than on the “The Last Command,” and more soulful than on “Mississippi Queen.” His vocals pour with energy and sensitivity, proving more to pack a punch in the end than the other instruments.

Then again, the song wouldn’t have been so captivating had it not been for primarily the lead. It begins with a solo off the bat, and a heartfelt one at that. Acoustics carry the verse while the electricity surges through the choruses. Drumming crashes like thunder in a mid-paced, inoffensive pattern, which suits perfectly with this song alone since it looks to comfort Blackie in these three minutes and forty-one seconds of darkness.

Blackie doesn’t forget his bass duties, so you’ll hear the jazziest of playing from him, which is rare in W.A.S.P. this early but let’s you know that he went above and beyond. The second solo also hits hard, keeping you on the edge of your seat and the piece finishes much like a soliloquy. Hamlet ain’t got shit on Lawless, and you’ll agree with me by the time you finish hearing this.