Terrorize, Brutalize, Dominate - 100%

IX, March 5th, 2008

When most metalheads think of Swedish death metal, they initially think of Entombed, Dismember, Unleashed and sometimes even Carnage. It’s that aggressive, mid-paced style with hints of melody, fierce vocals and grinding guitar sound that recalls fond memories of unrelenting domination a few years back before everything went all sappy and melo-deathy. But there is one collective of pure, death metal enduring Swedes calling themselves Vomitory that is keeping the brutal torch buring.

Vomitory is the abusive cousin twice removed in the Swedish DM family - Angrier, heavier, gorier, and uglier than all the rest. By injecting some grindcore aesthetics it is almost an oddity that Vomitory hails from Sweden and not Florida. But the recognizable Swede sound remains still intact underneath it all. And when Vomitory shows up on either side of the Atlantic, they usually put everyone else to shame with their old yet new school approach. This holds true with the abrasively titled Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize.

Coming three years after the rather average Primal Massacre, Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize seems to pick up there the lethal Blood Rapture left off. New guitarist Peter Östlund (Dispirited, The Law) brings in a bit more technical style and blazing solos to the fold. Bassist/vocalist Erik Rundqvist seems to be reaching into new depths for his guttural gurgle while guitarist Urban Gustafsson and drummer Tobias Gustafsson (God Among Insects) lay down some of the best speed and rhythm in the band’s career.

Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize starts off with the face-pealing “Eternal Trail of Corpses” and doesn’t stop the relentless attack until the fourth track “The Burning Black.” The aforementioned track slows things down and finds the band utilizing some Obituary meets Bolt Thrower styling that is a welcomed break and nice change of pace. But speed and brutality purists fear not, the following track, “Defiled and Inferior,” is one of the most intense offerings on the entire album. One part sheer brutality and one part riff mayhem, “Defiled and Inferior” easily sums up what Vomitory and Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize is all about: sonic terrorism with musical craftsmanship seeded in ferocity. Another Bolt Thrower-esque melodic riff shows up in the beginnings of “March Into Oblivion” but quickly returns the band into a wall of crunchy grindcore-esque riffs and an amazing melodic solo.

Surprisingly, among all the razor wire anthems of abuse, war, violence and gore, Vomitory finds time to create an epic sounding track, “Whispers from the Dead.” The track never reaches the full-blown attack of the others and is almost inspiring in some weird, indescribable death metal way.

Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize is perhaps one of the strongest releases in Vomitory’s flawless career. Injecting a few more technical and melodic moments bolsters the album’s sonic impact and moves the band forward. For example, the melodic riffs on “Hersey” and “Flesh Passion” beefs up the intensity and gives each unadulterated track much more of a sense of maturity. And it is that subtle combination that makes Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize sound so inspired and awesome.

With that said, if you are a fan of brutal death metal there are three Vomitory releases you need as of yesterday: Revelation Nausea, Blood Rapture and Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize. Personally, I’d start with Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize because it is easily shaping up to be the best death metal album of 2007.

-From http://www.livingformetal.com

Average - 70%

Vega360, July 6th, 2007

I have been getting back into death metal as of late and this CD has been sitting on the top of my death metal album stack for a while now. I had listened to it a handful of times and it never really produced the same effect that Blood Rapture does. After a while the album grew on me, but sadly it is still not as strong as I had expected when I first purchased it.

They should have seriously used a different name for the album title; even the overpopulated assortment of gore metal bands that plague the world over can spawn forth more clever names that “Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize”. However I guess they choose a more simple name to reflect the more simple nature to there music, seeing as Vomitory play death metal that follows a format more in vein of Cannibal Corpse the several other such fathers of common death metal.

Compared to there other albums, Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize is much more technical and guitar orientated. The riffs after the guitar break on the track “Scavenging the Slaughterhouse” is simply intoxicating, it produces a nice trance effect similar to the Judas Iscariot song “Where the Winter Beals Incessant”. However that is the only guitar part that has been implanted in my mind, seeing as while this CD tends to stay technical nothing ever reaches out and grabs you.

Even though there is a nice bass solo on the sixth track, the bass guitar only adds to the bands sound. The drums thankfully aren’t as forsaken as much. This album is not the annoying blast beat marathon I have come to expect from the majority of death metal CD’s, the drum kit helps add atmosphere every now and again, especially when the songs take a quiet approach or are written to sound menacing.

The first track on this album starts with a nice punch in the face. “Eternal Trail of Corpses” starts the album off almost immediately with the full blown vocal attack. For me this is very bothersome, because I usually listen to several albums a day usually with each producing there own effect, so when I put in an album and it starts like this one does I become very unsettled and usually pissed off. The album eventually settles and the vocals continue to keep there using the same tone that the album started with. The growls sound angry, but I really don’t feel the hate.

When stacked against Vomitory’s previous catalogue this album is mediocre. There is a lot of good riffs on here but that’s it, the other instruments sound normal, and the vocals sound weak. This is a nice place to get started with the band, but when I first listened to this I was expecting something showing maturity (seeing as the band has released several albums) and at times this album does show that, however I was left wanting more.