Voivod - The Best Of Voivod - 60%

ConorFynes, August 23rd, 2011

Voivod are not only one of the most important Canadian metal bands, but I would say they are one of the most important thrash acts of all time. Besides personally being one of the bands that got me back into metal and showed me that thrash was not all about speed and 'sick solos', Voivod is a band that will always hold a place in my heart. This is a best-of compilation for the band, a release which seems almost like a necessary custom by now for any band who releases over five albums. Although I think this album would have been much better if they had put off the release until after one of their best albums 'The Outer Limits' was released (I have a feeling the tracklisting here would have turned out a little differently if they had waited), this is a fairly good representation of the stylistic development Voivod made from their first to sixth album.

The earlier part of this compilation revolves around their speedy brand of thrash, but as 'The Best Of Voivod' goes on, you can tell that Voivod were quickly throwing in new quirks into their sound as they matured. All the same, there doesn't seem to be any attempt to make a complimentary flow on this album, and I feel that listening to the songs like this really doesn't do the music justice. Voivod were a very album-based band relative to other thrash acts, and seeing the songs piled into a best-of obviously cannot give the same effect as any of the albums from which these songs were taken. For the sake of a best-of compilation however, the songs picked are well chosen, and the equal representation of all albums from Voivod's career to that point in their career makes this a working survey of their early to mid career.