I Beg To Differ! - 100%

corviderrant, March 17th, 2004

Just because this album is not as thrashy as their earlier material is no reason to pan it, people. If you are a serious Voivod fan, you will understand that every album of theirs sounds different because they are always trying something new. I don't like everything of theirs, but I respect their pioneering spirit of always going out on a limb with every new album. And this happens to be one of my favorite albums of theirs. It's weird, abstract, spacey, and unpredictable, yet highly catchy and well-written, and that is what I love about it.

To this day, the chorus of "The Unknown Knows" rings in my head, and I bought this album when it came out in 1989! That is a good sign, a sign of a good song with character and staying power. Terry Brown of Rush fame produced this album, and they really benefited from his expertise; everyone is heard perfectly in the mix, and Blacky's bass tone especially is outstanding with its distorted snarl. "Missing Sequences", a tune about the effects of aluminum poisoning in their home town of Jonquiere, Quebec, also is very memorable and its verses feature a poignant vocal from Snake, multitracked in harmony for maximum effect. "Astronomy Domine" was naturally the single from this album (Pink Floyd cover, after all), and having never heard the original, I can't compare, but this tune is fun anyway, with its creepy vocal and trippy guitars. "Win-ding stairs flap/Flic-ker, flic-ker, flic-ker flam, POW!/Stairway's there and death rules there..." The rest of the album still awes me to this day with the musical journey it takes you on, a long, rich, and complex journey at that. How many albums these days can you say that about?