© 2002-2017

Good enough. - 70%

Kriegsminister, December 19th, 2002

This is the first serious demo from Vlad Tepes. It's nowhere nearly as good as "March To The Black Holocaust," but then again I doubt the band could ever top that anyway. If I could use one word to describe the music presented here, it would be "ugly." The sound of the music on this demo is so raw and corroded that it might be inaccessible to many "casual" fans of the genre of black metal (that is to say, the ones who can't listen to Darkthrone because "waaaaaah the production is terrible booooo I want my Soilwork"). It reminds me of Ildjarn in the way that it's underproduced and seems rather improvised (although I know it's not). Along with Ildjarn, I would probably cite various American black metal bands and some punk music as influences upon Vlad Tepes. Vlad Tepes has a very "energetic" feel that seems to be lacking in most black metal bands. They don't seem to sit around and contemplate the "perfect song" for hours at a time; they're more spontaneous than that. Everything seems to flow naturally with this band. The music is very well above average, but not perfect. If you can find it on ebay for less than $4,000, I'd recommend getting it.