Highly recommended for hardcore fans - 85%

Satanwolf, March 22nd, 2007

"Horrors of Hell" is a demo compilation from Vital Remains' early days of the late 80's-early 90'. The cd includes two demos and two songs from a 7" single. These recordings are raw, demo-quality and go from latest to earliest. I would probably have put the earliest material first on the disc, but this doesn't affect the enjoyment. All the songs featured here are with original vocalist Jeff Gruslin, who was a fine DM singer for the band. The liner notes are well-written and explain the circumstances surrounding each recording.

Musically, you can hear that the band has grown a lot since the easly days. It's easy to hear the influences, and this would appeal to oldschool fans of bands like Death and Possessed. This is dirty and ugly 90's-style death metal. My personal favorite tracks are "More Brains" (an excellent sing-along chorus and a nice ode to zombie movies), "Slaughter Shack" (again the emphasis on horror movies), and "Excrutiating Pain," which has one of the best choruses I've heard in a long time:"Excrutiating Pain, upheaval of vomit, Excrutiating Pain, disemboweling stomach!" This is sung high-speed and is just hilarious and gross.

There's really no weak tracks on the album, but if someone is not familiar with the band I'd hardly recommend it as a starting point. If you enjoy all of Vital Remain's excellent recordings with their various singers, then you should pick this up asap and bang your head to some killer oldschool scary and Satanic death metal. Hail Satan, Hail Vital Remains!!