Brazilians Know Metal - 87%

OzzyApu, June 11th, 2010

I am very impressed by these guys, as I should be with early South American entrepreneurs. This demo was an early bird by young guys, with the vocalist being only fourteen years old when this was recorded. That explains why the vocalist is trying extremely hard to get all the wails and yelling down as best as he can while trying to sound older than he really is. As for the rest of the guys, specifically the guitarists, my expectations were shattered.

To get it out of the way, the production is a bit grainy, with the guitar distortion scratchy and chalky. This doesn’t kill the demo for me, and in fact gives it the proper vintage feeling it’s supposed to have. Reminds me of Helloween’s first demo and the same songs from that demo that were on the Death Metal split with Running Wild and the others. On those recordings, as with this one, the vocals are very proud and down-to-earth, but also high and realistic. Nothing sounds macho or majestic about them; only unprocessed vocals are real. Matos was just a kid trying to pull these off like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, and he just can’t do it. Probably the most awkward part of the release, but you should be able to assimilate.

Now the guitars, oh boy – “Law Of The Sword” – if you had any doubt these guys could play, it’ll go away after you hear this song. The riffs, the harmonies, and those classical solos are all there to destroy what little you assumed from this band. Now when I say classical, I really mean it, and you got some Maiden-inspired ones in there, too, that actually live up to Maiden standards. Very epic stuff, and while the guitar tone is a bit pudgy and raw, you’ll still dig its addictiveness. The bass blubbers as if it were unplugged right alongside the guitars without being buried at all – so thick, yet you can make out every note because there are no booms. That may be a downside, but for speedy heavy metal like this I don’t consider it such an issue.

I also thought the drums would become forgettable or hampered like most demos, but oddly enough the drumming on here never gets stale and never detracts from the song. Essentially, two or so more songs and with better overall production could have turned this demo into a full-length debut. The songwriting and skills portrayed by these guys is exceptional for kids on a demo. This drummer for instance knows how to gallop and roll his way out of danger like Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot / ex-W.A.S.P., and that’s a theatrical skill.

No matter what the rest this band’s discography may tell you, check this demo into your library and never let it get back out. You have fun, non-orgasmic (or maybe so if you’re that simple), mentally stimulating experience with this demo – it can do no true wrong. Proud heavy metal like this doesn’t come easy.