Vicious Rumors is back in their truest form! - 85%

Xeogred, February 4th, 2007

Its funny, because I've only recently been getting into a lot of incredilbe, sometimes older US Metal bands. Among several of these bands was Vicious Rumors and Helstar. I instantly fell in love with both bands and got everything from them that I could. Then, to see that Helstar's James Rivera has joined Vicious Rumors to take over vocal duties, I couldn't contain myself and I just did a standing triple backflip off my chair while I exploded into the skies! It seemed almost too good! (man, small world?).

And the hype that hit me didn't let me down at all! James Rivera is truly the ultimate successor to Carl Albert, who has passed the realm of time. He fits Vicious Rumors like a perfect glove, and is exactly what the band had been needing for a long time. I completely respect Geoff Thorpe's efforts in taking over the vocals himself in some of their last couple of albums, but it just wasn't the same Vicious Rumors that I loved from the 80's - early 90's (as for the other vocalists, I just really didn't like them that much. It just didn't feel right). Rivera even sounds somewhat like Albert from time to time.

Then, the style. Wow! This is truly Vicious Rumors in their purest form again. This album sounds like something that could've come out right after Digital Dictator (probably my favorite VR album so far). You could listen to them back to back! Their past few albums came off as somewhat darker, lower tuned. But this is the groovy, kick to the balls, awesome Viciours Rumors that hit the streets back in the day. And with their odd, speed metal / groovy rhythm's / semi-progessive style, it comes off as completely fresh and diverse. Again, you can expect to hear a lot of virtuosity here. The solo's are very technical like always from Geoff, and everything else is just totally off the wall fun. And I don't think I can put into words just how awesome James Rivera is on here. He shines like a star, but then again so does this entire album from start to finish. Truly, almost every song on here is a highlight song. You could slap this disc in and randomly go to any track, and would probably be blown away again and again.

Well, there's not much more I can say about this disc here. If you've been craving for one of the most powerful comebacks yet, then get this. Even if you've never heard of Vicious Rumors, this would be a great entry to blow your socks off. James Rivera seems to be truly a busy man these days reviving Helstar as well, and doing other sideprojects like Distant Thunder and whatnot. I can only hope he stays within the ranks of VR along with the majority of this lineup. I can't wait to see more from them like this!