Excellent album from an overlooked band. - 94%

Mafioz0r, May 21st, 2008

«Savo metal», the genre Verjnuarmu claims to be, is nothing but a gimmick. There are many gimmick bands in today's metal scene, and with many of them, when you strip away the gimmicks, you’re left with nothing but an average or below average metal band. Verjnuarmu, however, is not one of those bands. Read on.

Not being form Finland myself, I wasn’t familiar with the Savo dialect when I first heard of Verjnuarmu, but the previous review (and Wikipedia) explained a lot. The band’s dialect is certainly a gimmick that attracts the locals, but doesn’t really boost a foreigner’s interest towards the band. This gimmick, however, isn’t the only thing the band has to offer. I, for one, can’t tell the difference between Savo and normal Finnish, so the dialect isn’t what brought Verjnuarmu to my attention.

Their music is nothing innovative – simple melodeath with heavy metal influences. The production is solid and I can’t find any complaints about it. The riffs and vocals are well balanced, and the melodies depend equally on both elements. The bass and drums are precise and serve their purpose. There are several types of vocals used on the album. The lead vocalist’s clear but rough voice isn’t bad, but then again, his vocals aren’t anything you haven’t heard before. Then we have the growls, which are sung by one of the the backing vocalists. Don’t expect death growls, though, cause there aren’t any. And, finally, there are some screams, but they aren’t used that often. All in all, the band’s talent and skill are obvious.

Most songs here have the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. All of them are good, but there are a few that will certainly attract listeners more than others. The simple and catchy choruses are one of this album’s best qualities.
The first song I’ve heard off “Muanpiallinen Helevetti” was “Laalavat Jouset”, which is also my favorite. The piano intro, after which the guitar kicks in, fits this song perfectly. The chorus is very memorable, and occasional growls make the overall impression even better. What more can you expect from a song? Then, we have “Vihankylyvaja”, with quite a contrast between the vocals used in the verse and chorus. The next standout track is “Noetavaeno”. There’s a great riff at the beginning, which pops up again in the chorus. And last, but not least, we have “Karahtany Kyla”, which doesn’t stand out by its quality, but by its speed. It’s a lot slower than the other songs here and its fading outro serves as a great finish for the album.

Overall, the band’s musical style brings nothing new to melodeath, but that certainly doesn’t mean they aren’t good. Quite the contrary, Verjnuarmu are awesome and so is this album. These guys clearly have skill, their songs are great and the Savo dialect will definitely increase the locals’ interest for the band. Even though this dialect has a major role in the band’s identity, it doesn’t really make a differece to people without fluency in Finnish. The music, however, does. I would gladly reccomend this album to any melodeath, heavy metal or even power metal fan out there.