Great Hateful Metal - 90%

animaldisguise, June 19th, 2004

This one took a few listens for me to get used to. Before this I had never heard of VELES, and bought it because of a Graveland connection. At first I was put off by the bizarre, seemingly sloppy sound, but after a few listens the RAW energy and HATRED expelled by the sound really started to come together for me. This record is INSANE and one of the best black metal albums of all time. It features great keyboard intros by Darken as well as strange mixes of folkish guitar parts and field recordings of forest sounds that suddenly crash into an explosive anger fueled nightmare of insanity. Pure hateful metal at its finest.
The only minor complaint is that some of the songs are very similar and begin to sound the same toward the album's end. I know they are keeping with the album theme and intensity, but some more transitions from folk to metal would have been much appreciated. Despite this one complaint, this release is one of the best I have heard in a while. If you don't agree with me, please give it another chance and I think you will begin to hear something that I am saying!
The CD I have has bonus tracks from their first demo 'the triumph of pagan beliefs' and are a nice addition to this disc, but do not transition well with the actual album. They are, however, interesting songs and we get to hear how the band has progressed.