One of the few good deathcore bands out there - 95%

MalignantTyrant, May 20th, 2012

Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya, two deathcore bands that are the most unique in the genre. They incorporate progressive elements into their music and most certainly defy the stereotypes that most 'kvlt' metalheads associate with the genre. But, I'm not here to talk about Born of Osiris. I'm here to talk about what I believe to be the superior out of the two, Veil of Maya, and their new album Eclipse. This album is damn good at what it does, not only will you hear what you probably thought to be an oxymoron (good deathcore), you'll also hear a few things that'll surprise you a bit.

The production here is superior to ID, and thankfully so because that is one thing that I thought was lacking in the last album. Here you can hear everything clearly and not one thing overpowers another (at least not in any way that causes a problem). There's no overpowered bass like what you'd here on a typical deathcore breakdown nor is the bass completely buried underneath everything. The extra stuff added doesn't take away from the brutality, and in the moments when just the synth and atmosphere are heard, the uniqueness is only reinforced.

The riffing is less technical this time around, and I think that in this case it works to the band's advantage. I had mentioned it already but the synths and atmospheric elements that this album has would not be very compatible with the more technical and brutal sound that the previous album had. If you were looking for them to progress into a more technical band then I'm sorry to say that this just might not be your album.

The drumming is done pretty well, not really much to say about it. The drummer is certainly no Flo Mounier but he gets the job done for sure and does not take away from the greatness of the album. The vocals, on the other hand, are quite exceptional. I thought that Brandon Butler could have done a better job on the last album, he sounded sort of tired and strained. Here his voice has resonated with authority and force. Not only can he growl quite well, but he contrasts this with a high pitched scream that puts all other deathcore vocalists to shame (some death metal vocalists, even).

This album is definitely Veil of Maya's best album and I look forward to see what they have in store for us next time around. This is a milestone in their discography and I think that anyone who is interested in this band should check this album out as opposed to anything else they've released.