Good Modern Greek Black Metal - 84%

CannibalCorpse, September 18th, 2006

While I love it when underrated albums get high ratings by fellow fans, but I can't agree with the former reviewer. While "The Lament of Gods" is definitely very good, it doesn't hold a candle to "His Majesty at the Swamp" or even "Walpurgisnacht".

The only problem this EP has, is that the keyboards are too dominant. Don't get me wrong, it's not like Varathron decided to go all Children of Bodom, but the keys do often distract from the great guitars, which get pushed into the background. This problem can especially be heard in "The World Through Ancient Eyes".

That issue aside, there's lots of great riffage to be found, especially "Warrior's Nightmare" (the best song on the EP) features awesome, classic Greek BM riffing. Especially the riff after the middle break in this song is up to par with their older works. The bass can be heard, but it doesn't play a major role.

Another thing that just works on "The Lament of Gods" is the production. (Even though "The World Through Ancient Eyes" seems to have a worse production job than the others..but that might just be me) If "His Majesty at the Swamp" or "Walpurgisnacht" had a production like the one displayed on "The Lament of Gods", they might be even better today. It's the definition of a "warm" sound.

Necroabyssious' vocals are about the same as always, midranged, pretty well decipherable growls, but maybe with a bit less of an aggressive edge this time around.

So, how would I summarize "The Lament of Gods¡±?

Modern Greek Black Metal, with good atmosphere, nice vocals, some very nice riffs and a tad too much keyboard work.

Recommended.