Litany, but more technical and heavy - 85%

AzzMan, July 24th, 2004

From the beginning of Epitaph to the end of Revelations, this is Litany and more. Where some of the tracks on Litany were too short, too fast, or just plain boring, Revelations redoes it, sets aside fast riffs and pulls out fairly more technical, slower ones that end a whole lot heavier. The soloing, likewise, isn't just a speedy little on-the-fly thing, they're generally not all that long, but alot deeper and nicer to hear.

The drumming gets revamped, the double bass seems to be produced the same, except for the fact that in some tracks, it gets used quite a bit more, in a Bolt Thrower style. Blasting is seen a bit less, and everything is bettered again.

Vocally, there's no real change, no best parts, the vocals aren't the stand out part, either. You're not listening for that. Listen to the overly catchy riffage, the more brutal drumming, or the different song structures, or the fact that the songs are over two damned minutes.

That's one thign the album shines about. My attention is at a full when listening to music- I want to absorb what's going on, pick out parts I like, and dissect every song. It's hard to do when it's just a speedy, repeated chorus riff, and repetitive blasting. Actually, it's easier but not nearly as impressive. The songs are a good bit longer, as stated more technical in almost every way, and overall a hell of a lot better than on Litany. For sheer enjoyment, Litany DOES probably top Revelations, but this is a bit more casual. It doesn't loose its feel, where Litany (For me at least) got old, then a bit later I could go back and listen to it, before it became redundant yet insanly fun.

This album's a real keeper, especially for those who didn't really find much enjoyment in Litany's odd time styling.