Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist. - 70%

Perplexed_Sjel, September 18th, 2007

Urfaust took me by complete surprise the first time I had heard their unusual blend of music. I was unaware that the bands vocalist performed in such a way, with some form of clean vocals. Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist represents somewhat of a change to these unique vocals in the fact that they're not quite as cut throat or powerful as they were on Geist Ist Teufel. They're still emotive and hauntingly dark, but not to the same extent as they were on the massively impressive Geist Ist Teufel.

Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist continues where we left off on the debut full-length. This is in terms of the depressing atmospheric nature Urfaust creates with their unusual blend of clean and indecipherable screamed vocals. They're bellowed out with raw emotion and intense passion, this is a positive that has remained from the debut which is pleasing. Urfaust had managed to perfect the aforementioned aspects therefore there was no real need for change.

The buzzing chainsaw-esque guitars remain very much the same again. Playing at a generally slow pace, which compliments the vocals Urfaust have as they tend to be slow and transcendental in approach. The vocals can sometimes be swept away in the perpetually slow droning riffs. A negative with this approach to play is the fact that Urfaust have a very hazy production. Elements of the music can be lost in the haze and this can sometimes mean Urfaust lack direction.

The long drawn out ambient songs are needless in my opinion. They showcase next to nothing of Urfaust's undeniable ability. I'm not overly fond of orchestral music as it is, so these parts can often be hard for me to appreciate. Elements like this can be risky. It entirely depends upon the listener as to whether they will understand the need for such occurrences. Said passages add no depth and detract from the depressingly dark atmosphere that Urfaust have spent the majority of the album creating. It can seem like you're listening to two very different bands and two very contrasting albums.

Contrasting emotions are also somewhat problematic here. Verflucht das Blenden der Erscheinung for example appears quite upbeat, whereas other songs will seem completely dissonant and differ from the moods and tones Urfaust have laid down. Der Gottesverächter is a good example of a contrasting song with it's mid paced melodies and stunning rhythmic nature. Urfaust have followed up a great full-length, with a rather mixed bag. Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist fails to harness what the previous full-length had established and thus leaves the listener feeling dissatisfied. Ragnarök Mystiker is a particular highlight.