A ritual of psychedelic murder and sex. - 100%

mushroomleg, September 23rd, 2011

Uncle Acid is the Devil, and he's here to do the Devil's business...

The production is very hot in the mix. It sort of reminds me of Raw Power by The Stooges and You're Living All Over Me by Dinosaur. There is definately a d.i.y. vibe going on. All instruments are fat sounding and audible. The guitars spew out juicy doom-style riff after riff in the vein of Ozzy Sabbath and Thin Lizzy, with AMAZING solos coming at your eardrums constantly. Uncle Acid is most certainly a mega maestro at his instrument, and his guitar clips the red EQ throughout Blood Lust. The majority of this LP was recorded on an old tape machine that Iron Maiden supposedly recorded their first demo onto, making the retro-vibe more prominent.

Drumming is overall tight and bouncy. It isn't overly technical, but it enhances the music very well... sorta like Jizmak in GWAR. Bass follows the guitar with the occasional Geezer Butler noodling every now and then. Once in a while, Uncle Acid's organ adds some nostalgic retro vibes, especially on "I'm here to kill you", which has an evil jazzy King Crimson/ELP thing going on.

The most distinct and most important part of this album/band is indeed Uncle Acid's vocals, which sound like John Lennon's on "I Am The Walrus" if John Lennon was a vampire instead of a walrus. Its one of those vocal styles that you never forget, and can make you recognize this band instantly. His eerie falsetto sneaks and creeps around like Nosferatu's shadow coming up the stairs to eat your neck. A sense of melody makes the vocals memorable ones that get stuck in your head, rather than the sometimes traditional boring doom kind. Its these vocals that really are the crowning jewel on this LP...

I gave this album 100% because its everything I've ever wanted in a band. I also reviewed it simply because I believe Uncle Acid deserves the attention to all you wonderful freaks and geeks here at the Metal Archives. Its the kind of music that gives you hope in heavy metal. Blood lust creates a trippy 60's satanic-hippie-cult-living-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere vibe... a vibe where music can take you to horrificly amazing places in your mind. There isn't an ounce of fat on any one of these tracks, and their sound is timeless.

In the words of Suicide from Return Of The Living Dead: "What, you think this is a fucking costume? This is a way of LIfe!"