Different Sounding Brutal Death, Good? Not Really. - 70%

MetalStrikesDown, May 27th, 2009

Slut Decapitator, what a fantastic album name. I honestly have no problem with it, but when I first read it I needed to take a second glance. Unburied play a style of Brutal Death Metal that you don’t hear very often. It is hard to explain the style as it is not always 100% brutality destroying of the ears; it plays more on the mixing of the instruments and the slower more sluggish riffs with the predictable random outbursts of insanity. There are obvious parts that the band wanted to stand out.

Of these parts were the bass and the drums. The bass is really high in the mix; it only gets covered up when the double bass and the down tuned sound of the guitars are at full intensity. I guess it is kind of hard to explain what I really feel about this album. It is a sound I haven’t really heard in a while but at the same time it makes me feel as if it is really lacking or elementary. With the atrocious vocals and the sluggish “jumpdafuckup” riffing there is more to be desired. Apparently there was some sort of strong following around Virginia, if I were those people I would be disappointed unless I was looking for something that is easy for a little kid to comprehend.

I guess after more listens this album really made me lose interest. I know this isn’t Technical Death Metal which usually requires the listener’s attention most of the time. It seems more like the Deathcore genre; it does not require a long attention span because if you let it play for a few minutes and come back you will not have missed anything because the same thing is being played over and over.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com

Finally reaching their potential - 80%

Noktorn, April 13th, 2009

What a snappy title! It took roughly a millennia, but Unburied finally released their debut full-length on the heels of a split with Seeking Obscure, much to the delight of their rabid fanbase of six people. Despite their relatively unknown status in the underground scene (despite the longevity of the band itself), the long-awaited album is actually a solid piece of New York style death metal in the vein of Skinless and their contemporaries, and should please just about anyone into uptempo, grooving and grinding death metal. Unless you're a slut, in which case I suppose you should be wary.

In a pleasant shift from the material on the previous split, Unburied's production is much improved on this album, with a less synthetic guitar tone and a tighter and more percussive feel overall. It fits the fast and agile music like a glove; this is a band that needs a variety of production as tight and focused as they are, and it goes a long way to making the songs play at their best. The production on the split I found too broad, making the instrumental performances sound sloppy through excessive distortion and a lack of precision in the mixing; this album is a needed and welcome step up in that regard.

The music itself is firmly entrenched in the NYDM style while still retaining a unique style. Unburied's variety of death metal is similar to Skinless, but perhaps a bit more extreme, employing techniques such as gravity blasts and other tropes of the extreme death/grind scene on a fairly regular basis, and possessing a uniquely sardonic and bloodthirsty tone which I haven't really heard elsewhere. The songs are short and make a real impact on the listener; occasional reprieves come in the form of samples, but mostly this music is a nonstop barrage of blasting and grinding. The music is immediate and doesn't wear out its welcome; the entire album is over in under a half hour, and it's all the better for it.

On the more negative side, Unburied does occasionally evidence some rather strange and unadvised songwriting decisions from time to time; the title track sits around on one groove section for much longer than it should, and elsewhere there are instances of the music getting a bit overly circular and static. Generally this is avoided by the high-speed nature of the songs and a good amount of variation in riffing and rhythms, but on occasion this gets a little still for my liking; it wouldn't be a problem, really, if the majority of the music wasn't so blistering, but you can't give the people steak and expect them to be content with a hamburger afterward.

Overall, this is a very strong debut album from Unburied and probably the best release yet from Metalbolic Records (next up being Archaic Winter's full-length). 'Slut Decapitator' is a solid, if obscure little number that should please a lot of fans of a more uptempo and cynical breed of oldschool hardcore-infused death/grind, and the fact that you can listen to it in the space of one commercial break is pretty convenient also. If you like extreme death/grind, certainly give this record a try.