An ok start - 55%

The_Ghoul, January 6th, 2008

I wouldn't call this beautiful -- the nasty production kills any beauty. I don't care about raw production. This goes beyond raw into the territory of being grating to the ears. Now, of course, it's expected -- it's a demo. But I wouldn't call it beautiful.

The songs here do not have the same "zing" that Nattens had, nor the same ethereal, grand, beauty that Bergtatt did. The only impression I get from this demo is a bunch of half baked, unmemorable, meandering black metal songs with some acoustic guitars thrown in for the sake of throwing in acoustic guitars. The drumming is original, I'll give them that.

There is really nothing profound here, just some mediocre black metal. If you love Ulver's old stuff, you'll dig this, just as a view of what led up to Bergtatt. If you're not, you'll find this dull and forgettable. I certainly do. It's good for an occasional listen, for I'll hear what Ulver came from, but I can't stand more than 30 seconds of these songs at a time. When the guitars and drums go into high gear, the mix turns to slush and you can't discern anything.

Conclusion: If you pay money for this, you're a sucker. This would be a good freebie to attach to Bergtatt, but it can't stand on its own merits.