The wolf have evolved - 95%

before_i_forget, April 6th, 2010

I am not a big fan of the direction Ulver took after "Nattens Madrigal" ("Madrigal of the Night") and I consider that album to be a huge fuck-up due to its lackluster production and songwriting. Also, I have always passionately hated the newer material they've put out, so I don't really know why I checked out some of the songs from this one. Probably to get some more ammo to hate them with. It's not what you would call metal, or music for that matter. It's more like soundscapes or sound composition. Whatever you decide to call it this a beautiful and soothing album.

The songs are mellow and sometimes very depressive. The vocal arrangements on "Let the children go", for example, sounds like a caged being whispering out to anyone who might hear, accompanied by eerie sounds. Per se, I would not call this music since most of the "songs" have no real structure outside being strange and moody. But I really enjoy listening to all the weird sounds and effects. The dial-up modem sound at the end of "All the love" send shivers down my spine, just to mention an example.

The lyrics don't make much sense to me, but they convey a certain emotion as well. The lyrics for the song "Like music" put me in a state of wondering and contemplation. Lines like "Is it beautiful, like Music" don't make much sense when spoken, but in this song they really hold a meaning. I can't say what meaning, but you will find your own meaning in it if you listen. Either it's deep or just nonsense to you.

I would really recommend this album to fans of ambient music, or anyone who wants a decent listening experience. I can't really break it down and comment each song, this is more of an experience and should be enjoyed as a whole. Nevertheless it's nice music to just sit and listen to when riding a bus or walking downtown. It's simply good ambient music that should be used to fill up an empty space of silence. Music to sit and dream yourself away to.
Some tracks are better than others, but all in all this is by far Ulver's best output since their 1994 full-length "Bergtatt" - released over 10 years ago. Maybe that's just an indication of how I perceive their music, but it certainly shows that this is one of their better works so far.