Funny shit. - 85%

Ktulu, April 5th, 2003

Type O Negative have always been a band that has no problem laughing at themselves, and they really show it on Origin of the Feces. The fake live album, which is quite convincing, actually, starts off with a lengthy dirge on infidelity, "I Know You're Fucking Someone Else" which is pure brilliance.

The rest of the album is more of the same kind of stuff. Very catchy, but also extremely heavy in parts, going from blistering speed to sludgy, doomy passages. Type O are a very wonderful band, actually. So many styles show themselves in their music -- metal, goth, punk, industrial, pop, blues, you name it. I've always thought that this was their best album, too, and I don't think I'm about to change my mind. The songwriting and musicianship is top notch -- and the covers?

Well, there are two cover songs. The first is a cover of "Hey Joe", a traditional blues song made famous by Jimi Hendrix which Mr. Peter Steele decided to rearrange into "Hey Pete". Pure genius. Instead of a gun, Pete chases his unfaithful lady friend down with an axe! Very well done, and good for a laugh, too. The next cover is "Paranoid" of Black Sabbath fame. This, like many Type O covers is completely slowed down -- so much, in fact that the just-over-two-minutes song more than doubles in length! Also very well done, but not as good as "Hey Pete".

If you have never heard this band, this is a good place to start. You get the humour, you get the great original songs, and you get a couple of great covers.