An eighties milestone - 99%

morbert, March 6th, 2008

Twisted Sister are legends. And this is not without reason. Had it only been because of their outfits, bands like Stryper or Tigertailz would have gotten just as big but they didn’t. So besides the image there must have been something about their music as well. And indeed there is.

We’re talking here about the ultimate Twister Sister album. The album which combined all styles the band ever stood for. Up tempo metal songs, a ballad, sleazy sing-a-longs, pounders, fistbangers. Everything is here and not even Manowar have come this close to releasing an album so complete with everything eighties rock.

For the metal minded people we have the up tempo opener and title track “Stay Hungry” which has a great vocal performance by Dee Snider and a memorable catchy yet non-cheesy chorus. Another true metal highlight is the song “Burn In Hell” which combines up tempo metal with a great eerie doomy intro. The fast song “Don’t Let Me Down” is a simple song but the melodies and vocal lines make it more than memorable and the song has a certain beauty to it.

The two classic hard rocking sing-a-longs “We're Not Gonna Take It” and “I Wanna Rock” did not only have the most ultimate rock videos from the eighties but in fact are also two of the best rocking songs from the eighties. Once you’ve heard them, you will never forget them.

“The Beast” is a slow pounding song and once again extremely catchy (especially the massive chorus riff). “SMF” is a great tribute to their die-hard fan base and the epic “Captain Howdy/Street Justice” features some nice creepy lyrics. Furthermore I must of course mention the ballad “The Price” which I’ve always liked. Dee Snider’s performance is really outstanding here, preventing the song from getting too cheesy.

There is absolutely nothing for me to complain concerning “Stay Hungry”. It represents the best of Twister Sister and is a milestone in eighties history combining metal and rock so perfectly. Since there can never be ‘the’ perfect album and I consider this ‘a’ perfect album I will of course honour it by giving 99 points.

Twisted Sister wants to rock! - 90%

cyclone, October 14th, 2004

Stay Hungry definitely deserves to be Twisted Sister's best known album. Sick motherfuckers from NY did a great job to promote heavy metal, with good or bad stuff, and the props mostly go to this album. From cover art to videos, they managed to shock glam metal fans all over USA and the world. Err, no, Twisted Sister aren't glam metal. At least Stay Hungry isn't. Don't mind the image, TS music is pure sick heavy metal. And what of an heavy metal it is.

I saw Twisted Sister live this year. It probably doesn't get much better that listening to tunes from Stay Hungry live. So, as you all know, I Wanna Rock and We're Not Gonna Take It are from this one. Both are well known anthems with great ''metal way of life'' lyrics, neat solos, great riffing and well... you know. Dee Snider. He is a great frontman and he does great on Stay Hungry too. The opener (title track) is also damn cool. Borders speed metal, has a nice catchy chorus and it's very memorable.

Burn In Hell is probably the best song on here, along with I Wanna Rock. Nice opening riff, great verses, neat guitar leads. OMG and there comes the part. See no evil, hear no evil... Unforgettable.

Horror-Teria is sort of an downer but it's still decent. Well, The Price could be the only glam song on here. It has that tone and stuff. And yes, it's a ballad. But it's good! Nice memorable chorus and a well done solo. Don't Let Me Down has a great riff althroughout the song. Nice one.

The Beast is the worst song on here. It's also the slowest and quite boring on times.

S.M.F. is the closer and it's nicely done. Stands for Sick Motherfucker, btw.
It's a concert closer also.

So, if you dig heavy metal with nuts, you will like this. Buy it just for Burn In Hell and I Wanna Rock if not for the others.