Come out and play it loud, mutha! - 85%

MetalReaper, August 29th, 2004

Many times underrated album Come out and play is not a bad record, thought bands image was still glam (unlike Poison), these fellas make good music. Too many hailed as a hair metal band, the band is much heavier on this "pop-album" than many other hair bands. Unlike it's heavier predecessors, this album is more poppier, but nonetheless heavy. There are both radio ("Be chrool to your scuel") and heavy metal ("Kill or be killed") songs on the album.

My first opinion about Twisted Sister was that those five goofballs who looked like ragdolls couldn't ever make good music. One reason I bought this (on vinyl format) was it's special cover. There's that opening manhole revealing grotesque singer and frontman Dee Snider. I had heard some Sister material earlier from some various artist compilations, but this was my real first touch to this band. After the torture at the dentist, I played this record, and as my big surprise, this was the result.

Inner sleeve had a text "Play it loud, mutha!" and I completely obeyd it. There are some quiet parts and energy burst in the start of the starting and title song, "Come out and play". Snider's scream (what scared the crap out of me) starts the fast and heavy song, the first highlight. Chorus is cathchy as glue. My next personal highlight is the next track, The Shirelles cover "Leader of the pack". Sisters make a good version of it, and it is a complete opposite to "Come out and play". The song is peaceful and sensitive love song. Sniff.

If "Come out and play" was heavy, and "Leader of the pack" peaceful, the "You want what we got" is something from the between. It is more happier than the aforementioned tracks. Someone may say that is album is a fucking pop album with weepy ballads cause of the two previous tracks, that guy will be surprised. "I believe in rock 'n' roll" is way more heavier with it's ballcrushing riffs than those two songs. "The fire stills burns" isn't poppy either, actually it's even more heavier than "I believe in rock 'n' roll". It's chorus reminds me a lot of W.A.S.P. and it wouldn't be surprise if Blackie Lawless had composed something like this, mainly by it's vocal melodies.

This album tried to aim at MTV pop audiences, so it's ironic that the humorous video song "Be chrool to your scuel" was banned by MTV. The name actually means (if you didn't figured it out) "Be cruel to your school". Song is easy radio rock with saxophones, pianos and trumpets combided with impressive guest list, including Billy Joel, Brian Setzer and Alice Cooper. "I believe in you" makes return to sad pop metal songs in the beginning of the album. It has again a good chorus. "I believe in you. Aa-aaa"-line and a sad solo included. "Out on the streets" is a basic pop metal song and nothing else, and it even shouldn't be.

"Looking out for #1"'s name refers to love ballad, what this song isn't. It follows the same pop metal pattern laid by the previous song. Ending of the album isn't sad, thought someone can think of it. "Kill or be killed" represents the heavier edge of the album, and it does it well. Song ends pretty suddenly, and then you think, was that it?

All songs have been written by Snider (expect the "Leader of the pack"), and it seems that his songwriting skills are still high. He has an ability to make many memorable and catchy songs, which many songwriter lacks. This album isn't always so heavy as it's predecessors, but should it be?