This is just not my cup of tea - 55%

kluseba, October 13th, 2011

I never really got addicted to Trivium and thought it was a hyped band but they recently convinced me with an energizing and very intimate performance with Dream Theater. These guys really rocked the show and I happened to appreciate some of their songs. They didn't quite fit to the progressive metal heroes but as I am a rather open minded metal fan I accepted them and had some fun at the show. But on an album, it's a different world than on stage and the same problems I already detected before are still evident on the band's latest record.

This band has though a lot of potential. After a very atmospheric and well chosen intro called "Capsizing The Sea", Trivium kick off the title track of their new album and this song is easily the best one on the album. It mixes mall core screams with a catchy chorus, sharp thrash riffs and some memorable melodies as well as some atmospheric ingredients.

This mixture is perfect but instead of keeping the pace, Trivium get drowned back into exchangeable, faceless and mediocre modern metal tracks that fail to establish any kind of magic, atmosphere or emotion. I guess tracks like "Dusk Dismantled" or "Forsake Not The Dream" are simply not my cup of tea as I can't find anything interesting, addicting or original about them. It's just boring mall core to me with bashing verses and radio kitsch choruses. But there are also even more melodic and commercial tracks like "Black" or "Watch The World Burn" that remind me of bands such as Rise Against which I can't stand neither. Maybe I am already too old for this kind of trendy music which I don't really stand or understand.

There are still some great interludes such as the dark "Leaving This World Behind" or the bonus track "Ensnare The Sun" and also catchy tracks like the second single "Bulit To Fall" that could get some radio airplay and sounds a little bit like Godsmack. That's nothing original at all but pretty good radio rock and will help the band to get even more attention. Each time the band gets a little bit calmer and more progressive as in "Of All These Yesterdays", they are able to develop a slightly melancholic and addicting atmosphere but these highlights are too rare to raise the rating of the record up by much.

In the end, the album is worth to be tried out and contains a couple of catchy moments but it still doesn't justify the hype surrounding those new American metal sensations. Those who didn't like Trivium in the past won't change their mind by much with this effort. Those who have always adored the band may find that this new record is one of their most solid ones. I recognize and honour the band's live efforts and would like to see them again but they can't convince on a full length album yet and still have a long way to go to merit all the attention they already got.