To feel is to die - 92%

hippie_holocaust, June 11th, 2012

This fucking rules. Did anyone hear that bludgeoning drum riff of doom that begins the EP? I am admittedly biased because, as a drummer, when a song has a part with plain ol’ naked drums, I’m probably gonna like it. But this opening beat kicks my ass, and when the distorted bass comes in things start to get nice and heavy.

Tom Warrior’s voice of infinite hate has become a force of utterly sinister aural desolation, and alongside the beautiful singing of Simone Vollenweider, “Shatter” is a work of divinity and devastation. The lyrics of Triptykon are the most hateful and honest poetry Warrior has ever composed, and no surprise, really, considering the events surrounding the disintegration of Celtic Frost. On Shatter and Eparistera Daimones, certain songs seem to be clearly aimed at specific individuals who were directly involved in the demise of the Frost.

“I am the Twilight” is just as crushing, using that simplistic yet brutal riffing style that came to the fore with Monotheist. “Persecute the servants of god. Slaves shall end as slaves.” This is eloquent and powerful blasphemy from the master, his vocals more hate-filled than ever before. Triptykon seems to transcend metal sub-genres, but when they doom on, it simply can’t get much heavier. I think after coming to terms with his adolescent Hellhammer endeavors, music which so profoundly affected multiple metal scenes, Warrior was finally able to embrace that primal urgency of his youth, and filter it through the musical sensibility garnered from decades of experience in extreme metal composition. This is why Monotheist and the ensuing Triptykon works are so uncompromisingly heavy.

“Totengott” is the terrifying rant that is part one of Monotheist’s Triptych, complimented here on Shatter with the somber ambiance of “Crucifixus.” There is no despairing monologue this time, but it’s rife with morbidity in the form of ghastly chanting and hellish percussion and bass. This track is certainly not boring, but darkly foreboding in the haunting soundscape which it creates. This fine EP is rounded out with the live performance of two classic Celtic Frost songs, the anthemic “Circle of the Tyrants” and “Dethroned Emperor” of Morbid Tales, in which Nocturno Culto makes a guest appearance on vocals. Hearing these already bestial Frost songs in the new low-as-fuck tuning makes them sound heavier than ever. This is a great album, my only complaint being its brevity, which leaves my earpussies moist and wanting.