Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - 90%

MrLapinKulta, April 1st, 2010

As sombre and doomtastic as Celtic Frost's monumental Monotheist album was Eparistera Daimones sees Thomas Gabriel Fischer delving even further down into his personal blackened abyss of grief and dismay. With the help of Dark Fortress guitarist V Santura, who also helped out Celtic Frost in the live setting, he has reshaped his vision and the edge is perhaps sharper than ever. The CF spirit is ever present but with a completely different line-up the sound naturally takes some detours from accustomed patterns. Perhaps even more doom influenced than Monotheist and more brutal in many ways, Triptykon's debut is mesmerizing and insanely suffocating at the same time.

Opener Goetia sets the mammoth pace straight away and carries a strong Leif Edling vibe throughout. The faster paced riffs reflecting latter day Candlemass, while the slower sections echo Krux's brilliant II album. There are hints of black metal here and there, possibly inspired by Fischer's recent collaboration with 1349, and it suits the overall mood perfectly. I wouldn't know how to approrpriately categorise this album but the blackened doom tag seems seems to cover most of it.

My personal favourite off the album is the storming A Thousand Lies that sets itself apart from the rest of the album speedwise. Fischer's vocals here are more evil and venomous that I've ever heard him. Absolutely brilliant. Another favourite is the monstrous final track The Prolonging which clocks in at just under 20 minutes. A massive epic that is sure to wreck the hearts and minds of the casual listener.

All in all this is nothing short of a brilliant "comeback" from the Celtic Frost frontman and one that I hope will continue for many years to come!