Accessible - 65%

GTog, January 10th, 2012

Let me admit right up front that I gave this album a try solely due to the picture of Amanda Somerville. Look, I'm a guy, all right?

...but the music is not exactly my cup of tea. I have my doubts about it being metal at all. Still and all, Ms. Somerville is a undeniable talent. Her pitch is dead on, and her tone contains a natural sensuality that doesn't sound silly or forced. Her range is comfortably alto I think. She dips into tenor a bit on tracks like Coward and Purge, but also drifts into mezzo-soprano on Bow to the Ego for example.

Her voice also has a fullness and power that makes her a natural fit with maybe hard-edge rock, but she's not a metal singer. I don't mean because she doesn't ever growl (she doesn't), but because she lacks the... I don't know. Attitude? Nothing on Alloy really carries that hellyeah emotional punch I look for in good metal. Alloy contains good music. Nice music. It's easy to listen to and very radio friendly. Scream It is probably the heaviest track, and it's not all that heavy.

All due props to Sander Gommans on guitar too. I think it's likely that he's better than this style allows him to be. Every track features a ripping solo, but like the vocals it stops short of being even light power metal. The mental picture I get of Trillium on stage has Sander standing back by the stack most of the time, skittering forward to hit us with a solo, then fading back again.

All in all, I think this is a pretty good album to give someone who isn't all that into metal. Fans of strong female vocals will appreciate it.