I hope this is just an experiment gone wrong... - 67%

ShadowSouled, July 22nd, 2007

Trelldom - Til Minne 67%

I really enjoyed listening to the past two Trelldom releases, although they weren't particularly original. Therefore, I was extremely exited when I found out about the release of this album, hoping it would compare to the other two albums, "Til Evighet" and "Til et Annet". However, as I listened to this release, it became very apparent that the 9 year gap between the album releases changed the band's sound radically and not in a particularly good way.

In the previous albums, it was Gaahl's vocals that really set Trelldom apart from the rest of the pack; they still stand out here, just not in a particularly good way. I was shocked at how much Gaahl's vocal style had changed: he still has a good variety of different sounding pitches, but gone were the high-pitched, distorted vocals of Til et Annet. Instead we have him doing the most indescribable screeching type of vocals that I have ever heard in my life, which sometimes was akin to the racket of a crying 12 ear old. In some tracks, such as "From this Past", it sound relatively good, but most of the time it really doesn't. This vocal style suits Gorgoroth very well, but during most of the songs, it made me want to trash my speakers. On the plus side, there are a few very well done spoken-word passages, which is a nice change from the usual shrieks. The drums and guitars, while well played, get very repetitive very quickly; almost all the songs consist of one or two riffs and one or two beats. In "Steg", it works relatively well, the almost constant blastbeating and aggressive guitar work, not to mention the spoken-word passages, bring to mind the cold mountainous landscapes of Norway. However, the strange sound sample playing at the same time somewhat ruin this vision. The final track, Eg Reiste i Minnet, is mostly a a beautiful, complex violin piece, followed by Gaahl moaning for about 20 seconds until the end.

Detaching myself from their previous work, I would have to say that this is a somewhat uninspired, but good Nordic black metal release. However, if you are a '90s Trelldom fan as I am, there is a high chance you shall be sorely disappointed.

Standout tracks: Fra Mitt Gamle..., From this Past, Steg