The best yet... - 95%

Totenkopf, September 5th, 2008

I've been a huge fan of Toxic Holocaust since "Evil Never Dies", and I've been impressed with everything I've heard from them since. I had been anticipating this release for quite some time, and it was worth the wait - this is the best thing Toxic Holocaust has done yet.

The first thing that struck me about this album is the production - it's full, thick, and beefy, as opposed to the relatively thin and tinny sound of the previous material. Not that the thinner sound didn't work for them, but this is just so much better. The guitar tone is huge and ballsy. I can actually hear bass. The vocals are less raspy, more throaty and vicious. Donny Paycheck (from Zeke) on drums really added something that the previous albums didn't have as well. Even with better production, it maintains a raw, blackened feel.

The songs are riffier and more complex, but remain pummeling and aggressive. There are cool melodies and breakdowns and change-ups going on all over the place, but everything is still straight-forward and thrashy. On past Toxic Holocaust albums, there always seemed to be a couple throw-away tracks that I usually skip. This one is much more solid... really, the only song that's not doing it for me is "Feedback Blood and Distortion".

Everything about this album is just absolutely killer. Joel really stepped it up and hit it outta the park with this one. Any doubters of the "thrash revival" movement should pick this up and have their minds changed by a face-melting nuclear blast!