Solid return to from - 82%

Metalwontdie, June 25th, 2009

I would place Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm on equal footing of Tourniquets second best album Psychosurgery. It’s that solid and a return to form since they had been dabbling in hard rock for a while, albeit even more progressive than before. Microscopic has a much more progressive edge than on even Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance, Tourniquet’s third full-length album it has more of a technical edge though like on their first two albums. Most of the songs are mid-tempo or slower but they have good enough songwriting and riffs which makes up for it.

One of the problems is Luke Easter is the vocalist now and has been for over a decade now and is voice just doesn’t fit the music like Guy Ritter’s voice did. Luke Easters voice reminds me of Armored Saint/Anthrax’s John Bush and I never liked that vocal style. The bigger problem is the songs while being mainly entertaining have weak parts, they drag on too long, and there is a fair amount of filler. If Tourniquet shortened the songs and worked more on the leads and riff work instead of the complexity it would have been much better maybe even as good as tourniquets excellent debut Stop the Bleeding.

Overall Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm while being a pretty solid album and a bit disappointing it is certainly better than their hard rock period. Best songs are Besprinkled In Scarlet Horror (an excellent album opener), the title track, Servant Of The Bones, and Immunity Vector. I recommend this album to fans of Tourniquet, and progressive metal.

-8 points Luke Easter’s vocals