Great Two-Piece - 70%

OzzyApu, December 27th, 2010

I know “Dancing In The Moonlight…” is a reasonably known track, though I’m left out of the loop when it comes to “Bad Reputation”. At this point it was the summer of 1977, with Bad Reputation still a couple months away from release. Bad Reputation also happens to be one of my favorite albums by the band, with staples like “Soldier Of Fortune” and “Killer Without A Cause” – hard rock / heavy metal monsters - leading the pack. These two tracks are also good, adding to the already diverse tracklist of the album. Top it off with that wicked cover art, and it’d make a good present for someone.

So the first track of this single, written solely by Lynott, is a bass-bouncy, guitar-chirping, saxophone-laden slow jam. Very sing-a-long oriented and relaxing, with that groove no slouch for sloths. For pop music I can see why this was popular, and for Lizzy this isn’t the typical endeavor. Had Lynott started his solo project earlier, this would have surely ended up on the theoretical debut album. The guitar solo, while short, is reflexive and goes back to the leisurely vibe of the Nightlife album.

“Bad Reputation”, written by Lynott, Gorham, and Downey, is understandably heavier; it still resides in hard rock territory. The riffs are fast and Downey is smacking the kit madly with genuine fills trading between Gorham’s energetic fretting. Give that riff a crusty guitar tone and maybe a notch up in speed and we have ourselves a thrash riff, which would be beastly during the twirling solo moments. Notice that Lynott’s gravelly singing is mostly within the first minute of the song, with the rest being a nearly two minutes of drum assaults, twin lead / coarse riffing, and slimy bass lines.

These two songs are opposites attracted to the same single. If you like even one of these songs, then you’ll love the Bad Reputation album, as it only gets better. If I was a hard rock listener in 1977 then I’d be going crazy over this single. Thankfully, I only need to go crazy over the full-length.