Until We Are Outnumbered - 60%

ApochWeiss, February 12th, 2010

Until We Are Outnumbered is the debut full length from the Death Metal tinged modern Thrash act The Kandidate, formerly known as The Downward Candidate, and it's surprising to see that this is being released through Napalm Records given it's musical track history of Gothic and Power Metal releases. While the album presents a mixed bag of emotions from start to finish, this release has the potential to grow on you through repeat listens. It's not that this release is a bad release, that couldn't be the furthest from the truth. The fact is the album runs the gambit musically of some really simplistic song structures, to some intense, if not sometimes repetative-sounding tracks.

Right from the start, the album presents you with two ass-kicking tracks with "Strength Through Diversity" and "Give Up All Hope", but right off the bat you'll start to notice that the band focuses on the intensity, with the songs starting to sound a bit repetative due to they're simplistic musical structure. Then you have "Shut 'Em Up" which is just a straight forward brawl song that won't really intrigue you at first, but after a while the track will grow on you. The real shining moments of the album would be the tracks "Distress and Decay", which really shows off the band's full potential of creating a fast pace song with plenty of intensity to grab you by the juggular and not let go, as well as "Live A Lie" which basically does the exact same thing. It's around this point you'll start to understand how the band works and puts the songs together, and Until We Are Outnumbered becomes a rather entertaining album.

The main issue about this release would be the lack of originality. Until We Are Outnumbered doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and actually comes off as if the band is trying to pay homage to Carnal Forge and Mnemic, moreso the latter throughout the album. One could even argue that there is some later The Haunted inspiration thrown in there. However, tracks like "Shut 'Em Up" and the instrumental "We Conform to the Unrighteous" fall rather far from those two comparisons due to a much more toned down, even though "We Conform to the Unrighteous" is a very boring track and can be skipped over without missing anything.

While the biggest downfall is the lack of originality, the music on here is still done well, with the exception of "We Conform to the Unrighteous" which feels like a filler to just add another track to the list. The better tracks on the release are clearly those the faster ones, but there are others that vary musically. "Give Up All Hope", "The Kill" and the very heavy "Enemy" are all worth checking out, as are the rest of the tracks on the album. Until We Are Outnumbered has the potential to be an entertaining release with plenty of replay potential, and if you don't like it at first, it'll start to infect your mind and grow on you the more you open up to it.

Originally posted on Apoch's Metal Review