One of the best albums to listen at night - 94%

CrazyArcher, February 17th, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of gothic rock and its likes, but The Gathering has a special place in my heart. They are such a diverse band, and that's what I like about them - no two albums sound alike, and all of them are superb and highly enjoyable. So, let's see what we've got in this one...

"Home" has plenty of electronic material in it. A sample here, another one there, there's even talkbox part in one place. It doesn't make it sound artificial like techno in the least, however. The samples blend very well with instrumental tracks. Speaking of instruments, there's no virtuoso technique here, but at the other hand all the parts are molded tightly together and sound like one single entity. Besides the instrumets we can't forget to mention Anneke's singing. The vocals are sometimes processed through some reverb/delay effect, making a haunting feeling, but are generally very clear. Anneke doesn't show off with extreme operatic stuff, but instead sings her parts with great precision and feeling.

Now, I should elaborate about the header of this review - just about time! If I have to say what's the greatest feature of this album, without doubt I'll say 'the athmosphere'. "Home" is an album that fits the slow nocturnal flow of time. Personally, I can't imagine myself listening to it with sun above the horizon. It just radiates calmness, without beeing boring. I can just listen to this beautiful music, staring from my window into the night and concentrating on beeing here and now. The album is played with such an emotion that it envelops the listener and doesn't let go till the last note.

This, my friends, is a piece of musical talent combined with starlight and packed into a CD. If you see it in the store, do not pass by...