This is the shit - 90%

RedMisanthrope, February 15th, 2008

The Foreshadowing's debut album "Days of Nothing" is truly something remarkable. As a big fan of Katatonia, My Dying Bride, and Anathema's early works, music treading in the waters of the darker side of human existence is nothing new to me. But not since My Dying Bride's "The Angel and the Dark River" have I found an album so sincere in it's grief and so stubborn in it's melancholy that listening to the whole thing in one sitting may just be an emotional experience in itself. Bold words, but trust me when I say that after listening to even a few songs, you're going to leave just a little bit empty.

It only takes the six minute opener "Cold Waste" to hear that this album is going in the right direction, and it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect for the rest of the journey. Subtle, yet effective guitar melodies, omnipresent, yet never dominating keys, and restrained, yet not unimportant drums and bass. This coupled with one of the best vocal preformences I've heard in recent months makes the entire album worthwhile. Seriously, Marco Benevento's baritone crooning needs to be beheld to be believed. Wheather it's the opening line to "Departure", the mid-section of the beautiful "Death is Our Freedom" (back up vocalist Francesco Sosto's harmonizing also makes this song a treat), or the memorable chorus of the title track, Marco has certainly held up his end of this dismal deal.

"Days of Nothing" also has a few twists added into the mix. The surprisingly heavy "Eschaton" may just be the black sheep of the album, but that doesn't mean it isn't a note worthy song. Also, "Last Minute Train" features some strange and incredibly pessimistic samples around the three minute mark. The closer "Into the Lips of the Earth" is a completely ambient ordeal, with only vocals and the lonely sounds of space to be heard. The lyrics are also well done, albeit there are a few head scratchers. Overall this album is an amazing accomplishment for just a debut album. I have high hopes for these guys, and maybe in a decade or so (God willing they're still around) I can look back on this album, and maybe give "classic status". Absolutely essential for goth/doom fans.

"Death is our freedom
Makes us equal men,
Regardless of our place of birth
Regadless of our plans and deals
She'll never break her promises"