Articulate and Captivating - 92%

Robropnkr1, March 21st, 2007

Let me start off this review by stating that this band is fucking far from metalcore. (At least this album). Akeldama proved to me that this band is capable of much more than a breakdown here and a riff there. With highly experienced drumming, pick-sweeping guitar patterns, and prog-oriented keyboard and synth sounds, The Faceless shatter all previous conceptions of their style and intentions as a band.

The skull-breaking aggression of the drumming on this album makes it well worth a listen, even if only to hear the technicality and double-bass pedal ripping. The guitarists and various drummers on Akeldama have a flawless chemistry. Everything is aligned perfectly with everything else, and makes for an almost-necrophagist feel at times.

Jones and Keene are amazing guitarists. From the riffing to the sweep solos that fly all over the place, we see that they can handle much more than a shitty metalcore band would ever be able to. The progressive riffs, especially on All Dark Graves and the title track are done very well. They're no Martyr, but they do the job well enough to give this album a feel of prog/death.

The bass guitar and keyboards are both used well and are highly necessary for the musical element. We hear some nice scaling work from Giffin, and even a small bass solo on the instrumental title track. Sherer's synth and string sounds add even more to the atmosphere than would be expected from a debut album.

This album definitely shows us that The Faceless is headed toward a future in the world of Death Metal. All the elements are there, and the musical composition is next to flawless. The band states that the biggest influences on their music are bands such as Necrophagist and Extol. (Progressive and heavy all at once). I have to say that this band is very necessary in the metal "scene" of today. A band that can use breakdowns and traditional metalcore riffs to their advantage is something that metal is lacking these days.

In conclusion, I must say that this album is by far worth at least a listen by those not disturbed by previous conceptions of this band. Please try not to be a judgmental prick and shrug this album and this band off as being not worth the time. After hearing this album, your opinion of this band will change. I guarantee at least that.