A Solid Debut - 86%

MetalHeadNorm, May 22nd, 2009

This reveiw was originally written for http://www.metalneverlies.com

Akeldama (2006) is a great debut effort from The Faceless. The Faceless plays a unique blend of technical Death Metal and Deathcore on this release, and they pull it off quite well. The members of this band have a lot of talent, and they know a thing or two about writing a good song, but they have plenty of room for improvement. Although this CD has a lot of moments that will leave you saying “Whoa, that was insane” or “Wow, that's really sweet,” it also has a handful of filler moments, which is disappointing.

The first track is called “An Autopsy.” You might expect some insane drumming and some crazy riffs, and that's exactly what you'll get. Unfortunately, this song has an unusually boring breakdown before the guitar solo. I have nothing against breakdowns: I think that they are great when used once in a while, but coming from a band with this much talent I just expected it to be a little more interesting. Oh well, the guitar solo is sick, so that makes up for it. Next is “Pestilence” which is my personally favorite track on this album. I like it because the lyrics fit really well, it has great song structure, the guitar solo is wicked, and it's brutal throughout. “All Dark Graves” is a fast-paced song with a unique sound. One part that stands out about this track is the soft break where you can hear fire crackling that gives off a good feeling that prepares you for some technical and sweet-sounding riffs that fill the second half of the song. The fourth and fifth tracks are for me, the low point of the Album. These tracks are fast, brutal, and technical like the rest, but they aren't too memorable.

“Leica” is another highlight. It's filled with mind-blowing and technical riffs, a fun keyboard solo, and ends with a skillful guitar solo. One thing which bugged me about this song is again a breakdown. This one happens directly after some pretty cool sound effects. It's pretty cool the first couple listens, but it gets pretty boring after that. Overall, “Leica” is a great song though. “Akeldama” - the title track – is a very impressive instrumental. It shows the band's progressive side, and it's very enjoyable. You'll have to listen for yourself. The album finishes out with one more track that returns to the band's main song style. This track doesn't stand out too much except for the bass – which is really cool.

When all is said and done, Akeldama (2006) is a solid album. Sure, it has some sections that can pass as filler, and the band has plenty of room for improvement, but this CD will give you plenty of enjoyable listens and will impress you at least a few times on it's first spin in your player.