Not great, and can get repetitive - 70%

DustFC, March 22nd, 2008

The Duskfall - Frailty

The Duskfall is a melodic death metal band. Unfortunately, they're a somewhat typical melodic death metal band, but they have their moments.

The album starts off with an alright opening song, The Light, which is pretty average for a melodic death song. The band members all seem pretty competent about how to play their instruments, and there's not much to complain about. Then we move on to Age Of Errors, and therein lies the problem: it is almost indistinguishable from the first track. Then the next song continues to do the same. Then the next two songs continue to do it.

What I soon discovered was that the first five tracks of this album are up there with Reign In Blood in terms of repetition, so what we are left with is an extremely typical melodic death riff repeated five times over, much to my chagrin.

Based on the first 5 tracks I'd give this album a 5/10 minus a few points for repetition, but then Farewell Song comes on, and introduces a *gasp* new riff. Luckily, the second half is much more varied. Farewell Song isn't a great song, but it's definitely better than the previous five, and has a very nice, melancholy break whenever the chorus comes on.

When the title track comes on, the song brings in some cool clean vocal parts in the chorus. I'd probably say this is the high point of the album. The songs that follow are slightly above average, but are exponentially better than the first half of the album.

The band knows how to play their instruments, I'll give them that. First half of the album is pretty typical, boring, and repetitive, but picks up in the end.

Highlights: Frailty, Farewell Song

7/10, taking off a point for the first half of the album.