Not much music, but decent atmospheres - 60%

Daemonlord, July 1st, 2011

I can appreciate the originality in what The Axis of Perdition have done with Urfe, but am still feeling let down that they've done it without actually utilising much in the way of music. Their past couple of releases had pointed to the fact that they may go in this direction though, so no-one can complain TOO much.

With that said however, if I'd have wanted to listen to a horror audiobook, I'd have bought one. I had no idea of what to expect when pressing play, having read or heard nothing about the release until it reached me from the store. Thus I'd expected some sort of music in the vein of Blut Aus Nord, splashed with swathes of creepy atmospherics and will-crushing darkness. A few shimmers of guitar can be heard on the second disc, but this album as a whole is pretty much entirely based around a horror story of epic proportions, set to a backdrop of spooky ambience, shrill squeals, groans and general ghoulishness.

If you're in the mood for this kind of thing and have the time to sit and actually take in the dark ambience; it is a fair listen. If you're not, it'll be nothing more than tedious and annoying. The story itself, while not putting itself up for any literary awards paints a grim and twisted picture in the listeners minds eye. With that said, I still managed to chuckle out loud a few times (the narrator mentions 'pants' a few times - what can I say, I have a strange sense of humour). As a story progresses, it doesn't quite grab you as I'd like it too. You generally feel no apathy for the main character, often ending up listening to a string of horrific things that happen to him as he makes his journey though a dystopian hellhole. However, tension is built in certain circumstances which do create geniune unease (especially when details are described in a particularly gruesome manner).

It's OK for what it is, as an experimental story based soley around spoken word piece, just don't expect much in the way of 'music' as you know and love it when purchasing this CD.