And Despite their Name, They're Awesome - 90%

Cloud0129, November 1st, 2012

This is the only album I currently own, but is it's an amazing listen. For the past week that I've owned this album, I forgot that I owned more brutal, technical stuff like Suffocation and Hypocrisy. While this band is not super brutal and only somewhat technical, they're far catchier and melodic than most of the "trv" (Fuck that word) death metal bands that I've heard so far.

Alissa White-Gluz is the most-talked about member of this band, and for good reason - she's beautiful and she's the vocalist of the band. She is also perhaps the best vocalist in her genre. The vocals are mid-ranged (screaming) and low (death grunts and growls) and she does clean singing. The screams that she delivers have power, but she has her own sound and she sounds nothing like Arch Enemy' s Angela Gosscow despite both being female vocalists in a melodeath band. Oh, and she also does the clean singing, which I mentioned earlier, but unlike most bands, her clean singing is actually better than her already superb screaming. Her singing is absolutely angelic and I actually found myself liking the songs where she does her clean singing more than where she does her screaming, such as in the song Anxious Darwinians. This song is by far her shining moment on this album.

The other members are nothing to joke about either - Guitar riffs are fun and don't detract from the music while still being true to both of the genres that this band plays. Solos aren't all that common in this album, but goddamn, they're really fun and memorable when they do them, especially the one in the last two minutes of the song, Ideomotor. They're technical for metalcore standards and possibly even likeable for melodic death metal standards. Lead Guitarist Danny Marino sure knows how to shred at the young age of twenty-four. Drumming is spot on as well. Simon McKay happens to be from a traditional melodeath band before (Endast) and he hasn't slowed down. I do wish he would slow down a little in the softer parts of the album.

This is honestly better than most of the modern -core bands today, and even beats most of the US ones. Still, they're a young band, and they can still mature into one of the best bands from Canada and hopefully evolve playing technical melodeath.