Ripper of a good thrash album - 92%

natrix, March 18th, 2007

A lot of folks on here sure don't like Testament, but for me, they've always been one of my favourites. Sure, as time has gone by, I have found other thrash bands of the same era that are heavier and more interesting, but I'll always hold a very special place in my heart for the first two Testament albums, especially The Legacy.

Musically, Testament brings a high level of technicality to the table, while retaining a higher level of heaviness. They surely fit in alongside Slayer, Metallica, and Overkill, and certain elements of thier style all remind me of the aforementioned bands. On The Legacy, the technicality is toned down a bit, leaving some especially wicked riffs on songs such as "C.O.T.L.O.D." and "Raging Waters," but when things get technical, it's usually in the form on magnificent lead passages. My favourites being the lead breaks on "First Strike Is Deadly" and "Over the Wall."

"Burnt Offerings" and "Alone in the Dark" are propbably the best two songs on here. Both feature heavy riffs, pretty jeuvinille lyrics, and just the right amount of evil sounding melodies to make the songs feel a bit frightening. Not quite as much as Mercyful Fate, but there is certainly a stylistic similarity there.

Chuck Billy deserves major props for his vocal performance on here. He's always had a very strong vocal delivery, and on here all aspects are fully utilized. Just listen to the wide range of vocals he uses on "C.O.T.L.O.D." where he goes from a nasty snarl to insane screaming and deep growls. As far as I know, no one in thrash was using vocals this extreme at the time. His screaming sounds especially raw and evil, while his deeper growls sound a bit demonic.

I don't know who the hell fucked up the mastering on this thing, but if I were Testament, I would have them shot dead in the street. The problem is that no matter what, you can never get the thing to sound loud enough on your stereo, and the riffs are very, very clean sounding. In my opinion, that has always been the cheif problem with Testament; they have a very clean sound, sort of compressed.. On here, at least the vocals are over the top, with a great emphasis on a good variety of heavy riffs.