Chicago-area death metal surpeme - 90%

Pratl1971, October 7th, 2011

For a seriously good Bolt Thrower-esque fix that combines some early Grave and Bloodbath influences, Morton Grove, Illinois’ Terminate spans the death metal spectrum with the relative ease of a brick to the back of the head. Honing some destructive Swedish death metal influences, Terminate’s first demo is sure to disturb the waters around them with these three songs of sheer brutal brilliance.

The melodic one-two punch of chugging, punishing riffs and growling vocals can cause some serious neck damage once “Rotted Dead Mass” bellows from your system. As a death metal fan not even close to easily impressed these days, the very first notes of this track made my eyebrows raise, cocking one to the immediate left, and then the blood just went through my arms and chest like a burst dam destroying the entire area around. This is just some incredibly caustic death metal! Being from my home state I’m thankful the Chicago area is assembling a nice arsenal of death metal bands to keep the clock in check. The incessant barrage of battering through these three tracks is what keeps me rewinding the demo and playing it over and over; such a deadly mix of death metal is just what this writer needs at these early hours of the morning!

These riffs are ugly with a capital “U”, people; the orchestrated violence contained in this terrible trio of tunes makes me wonder what else this band has in store. I especially like the crisp edge to the music where it isn’t muddied to appear “kvlt” or intentionally “necro”. The pride in the sound as a utility for rage is exactly what the death metal genre is missing on occasion. Each song is its own ball of volatility, letting up not one iota through the ten-minute assault. And just when I was ready to chuck my demo reviews in the toilet for today….

Check these guys out and get the inner demons ready to go destroy something!

(Originally written for www.metalpsalter.com)

Terminate - Demo 2011 - 80%

lister_fiend, March 14th, 2011

Just a little background information on this band. Terminate is at the moment a two piece OSDM band straight out of Chicago. The music is very reminiscent of some of DM's greats like Bolt Thrower and the amazing Swedish DM bands. Anyway, let's review this motherfucker eh?

First up is the track Rotten Dead Mass. This track starts off with a slow heavy riff and then in comes the drums and this song takes off. John Parada (Vocals and Guitar) manages to utilize the tempo changes very well and commands this track very well with his great vocal style that fits the music greatly. After all of this action it slows down into a cool melodic riff type solo thing and then ends with the fury of the double bass pedals leading you into the next song quite well. Overall a very solid track and a good way to kick off the demo. 3.5/5.

Next on the list is the track Chainsaw Omega. Unlike the last song this song gets straight into it with a cool riff to open it and straight into the vocals. I really dig the chorus with the crushing guitar chords, double bass drumming and the vocals dominating the listener. After the second chorus, shit really picks up and we go into another heavy riff and then we end the song. Definitely a better track than the first. 4.0/5.

The final track (and the longest) is up next and is entitled Answered in Lead. It opens up with a very cool DM riff that reeks of Swedish influences and then goes into a heavier riff and picks up the pace of the song. I'm really digging the riffs on this song and IMO are the best riffs on the entire demo. This song has some cool solos and then after that, all hell breaks loose as the drumming really picks up and the riffs get heavier. I can't really think of a better way to end this song then that. The best track on this demo and a great way to close it. 4.5/5.

The overall grade of this demo... 4.0/5 or 80%.